pogo

Bonded vs non-bonded polyester?

I'm guessing this question has been asked and answered before but I can't find it, so if anyone could point me to it I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to understand the difference between bonded and non-bonded polyester, and which is best to use in a compound feed machine. I'm running bonded in the needle and unbonded in the bobbin ( because I only have one cone of each) and every so often I get a bird's nest in the lower thread. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the bonded/nonbonded issue. Thanks

The bonded would have a coating applied somehow. And as you mention your doing, running bonded topside. This is the design intention to better help in higher tension or stress areas and these type mechanical situations. I believe speed of stitching also plays a big roll here as this can develop heat. A supportive and may well be a sales point. Is some bonding specific applications this is to also add better results to usage of products. 

Good day

Floyd

Bonding  on thread is a clear polyurethane that locks the spun fibers into a much stronger bond for sewing.  If you have ever stitched with non-bonded thread, you will know what I mean.  No nearly the strength and it frays like crazy.  I simply do not use it.  Only used in certain applications where the thread might be stronger than the material you are sewing.  Trust me, always use bonded thread whenever possible.

glenn

Thanks very much. The problem I've been having is excessive fraying of the bottom (unbonded) thread. It seems the message is clear: ante up for another cone of bonded to reload my bobbins and forget the unbonded cone I have.

Or just take a short break and wind a bunch of bobbins. 

The ideal is a bonded top needle thread, and soft or non bonded bobbin thread.  This helps the bobbin thread come off the spool very smooth and consistently.

Interesting  Gregg I have never heard that recommendation before, also never had a problem with bonded nylon or poly feeding off the bobbin either. Is that more of a high speed cloth manufacturing issue?