Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

Signal whips

Signal Whips were innovated by Whipmaker David Morgan. Originally designed as sound-maker in sled dog handling it is now favoured in the adult whip play scene. It is easy on the eye and looks fantastic in 2-tone and is an excellent short range targeting whip. In practiced hands it is capable of great accuracy but with a strike that can be as light as feather. The cracker point is plaited into the whip and is not replaceable by anyone other than a good whipmaker. So order your signal whip with a replaceable cracker point. Even if you choose a standard signalwhip it's cracker will last for several years -so long as you don't want to crack the whip as a sound maker.

Snakewhips are similar whips to signalwhips - shot loaded without a stiff handle section. They are easy on the eye and they evolved from cattle work in several American states as a pocket whip - a whip capable of being coiled into a saddle bag. Snakewhips have a replaceable fall and cracker set-up. So a snakewhip makes a better choice as noisemaker/target whip combination than the signalwhip. It is inherently a little less accurate than the signalwhip, but in practiced hands the accuracy that can be attained is exceptional. As a whip suitable for complex whipcracking routines it is a little lethargic and reluctant.

Bullwhips have a stiff handle section that can be as short as 4 inches and as long as 18 inches. There are two main styles, the finer Australian style and the robust American style. Both styles are lovely whips and when made well are energetic and give big sound with the minimum of effort. Poor to average whipmakers get the handle connection wrong resulting in a hinge at the stiff handle/thong junction. In my opinion there is no shortcoming in this style of whip so long as the whip is made by a good whipmaker. For complex whipcracking routines the bullwhip is less hungry than the stockwhip to get the job done. This won't phase the bullwhip afficionado - it's all part of it's charm.

Stockwhips are the Australian contribution to the whipcrackers choice of whips. Originally developed in the droving routes of England were it's 'concept' evolved in Australia into the stockwhip we recognize today - forged out of necessity in the Australian droving environment. The stockwhip lacks the classic 'whip' form for most people (other than Australians). It is the easiest of all the whip styles to make into a poor performer. Made well though, it will punch out the hardest of whipcracking routines with the cleanest sound imaginable.

Other Whip types have evolved to meet special requirements. The Bullock whip has handle section that is very long, sometimes as tall as the bullocky (the driver of the bullock team and dray). The thong is a heavier/cruder version of the stockwhip thong and is nearly always made out of cowhide. This is the iconic colonial Australian whip - but it's form was copied from the Dutch colonies on the African continent visited by the early tall ships that left England to colonise Australia. Take another look at the bullock team picture on my home page, that's a bullock whip being held, in the classic way, in a circa 1895 Western Australian goldfields scene. There are many other types of whips and these are sought after by whip collectors (including myself!) as they are a fascinating window into our past.

From Murphy Whips

Johanna

Johanna

If you would like to find out the truth about the accuracy of signal whips as compaired to snake whips or if you want to know how to make the cracker on a signal whip removable. Check out these two articles.

http://www.bullwhip-info.com/geeky_bullwhi...s/calculus.html

http://www.bullwhip-info.com/whip_informat...able_crack.html

You see three out of the four whips mentioned in this article are distinctly American. By that I mean they originated here. The Australians really didn't know too much about signal whips or snake whips until the "adult play scene" started asking for them. Which was quite recently.

All the best

Victor

PS Love the new index page it looks awsome.

Edited by Victor

I would love to hear more about the history and designs of the different whips from you, Victor, because I don't know much about whips, but I sure admire how you braiders construct them so elegantly, but with specific intent in mind. I've enjoyed reading the info you share on your website, and I'm hungry for more.

Johanna

tickle~tickle

I would love to hear more about the history and designs of the different whips from you, Victor, because I don't know much about whips, but I sure admire how you braiders construct them so elegantly, but with specific intent in mind. I've enjoyed reading the info you share on your website, and I'm hungry for more.

Johanna

tickle~tickle

Hey Johanna

Check out my new whip info page

Bullwhip-Info.com

You'll find out all kinds of interesting info on whips.

All thebest

Victor