Jollyrogers

Reshaping/flattening a baseball

So, I'm trying to incorporate a baseball skin in a wallet I'm making. Any suggestions on flattening the baseball skin? I have yet to try anything, but I am considering dampening the leather and sandwiching it between two boards with weight on top. 

Anyone try anything like this before? I'm open to any ideas. 

Not sure what leather is used in baseballs or if it's even leather anymore. Maybe some heat? Like a low iron or something and then placing it under some old text books....

Or, if you really mean business and either have or know someone who has a hydraulic press.... Hehehe 

I have been playing with this for a while. Best thing I have found is a heavy piece of steel. Works on softballs too which is a lot more stubborn. I use a piece that weighs about 30lbs. They were some scraps I found at the steel yard, about an inch thick. But I have noticed once flattened out if left unchecked it will get some of the cup back in.  When I glue these together, I slather a good coat of weldwood on both sides, stitch about half way around and stick under the plate before the glue has a chance to set. I leave it alone overnight. Even after all that, a very little cup or twist is not uncommon when all is said and done.  If you can come up with a design to cut some I've the cup out of the leather it will help quite a bit. 

Side note, the cover on baseballs is real leather, the cover on softballs is thinner than the leather used on big box store wallets, glued on some kind of backer. 

IMG_1075.JPG

http://tntanningcompany.com/index.html

this is the company that makes the leather for the balls used by Major League Baseball. It is a company owned by Rawlings. I think they sell baseball leather.  I called to ask, another guy was supposed to call me back and never did and I never followed up. 

Edited by Brianm77
Added link