melancholycoyote

Help Needed to Identify Singer Sewing Machine

Hello!

New to the site. Learned a lot already from reading through tons of great posts.  Such an awesome information resource.

I have come across this Singer sewing machine on craigslist (eek I know, craigslist).  The lady doesn't know what it is, but provided a model number and motor number and is guessing it is from the 1940s.  Model Number: AG267244. The motor is 5912994.  If someone could help identify it, I'd be very appreciative.  Thank you in advance for your time.

00x0x_h9TeiTM39fU_1200x900.jpg

Looks like a run of the mill, late model model 66. They made a lot of them.

Edited by ndnchf

An easy give away is the location of the tension assembly. If it's on the faceplate,it's a 15 series. If it's on the side of the head,it's a 66.

That actually isn't a bad find even though as mentioned Singer made millions of them. They did not however make millions of those parlor cabinets. The electronic motor was added to that machine. The bolting boss on the rear of the machine was added to the casting LONG before electricity was common. If you have access to this machine look inside the cabinet for the treadle components. That would be the foot peadle you press to run the machine. And an additional note. That's a 66-1. I know this by the position of the presser foot attachment screw. It's to the rear,away from the operator. They changed that design and started making them where the screw was to the left where the operator had better access. Those are 66-2. And,when 66-1's were taken in for service the needle bar was replaced at no charge. It's getting harder to find original 66-1's these days but they are still out there. I've probably got 15-20 of them with verious patterns on them.

Edited by kellyblues

According to ISMACS your serial number is for a 66, and falls in a batch of numbers [AG 253776 to 288775]  allocated on December 16th 1941

Thank you for identifying the machine for me.  And for taking the time to reply, greatly appreciated!  Would something like this sew 5-8 oz chap leather?  I've also come across a Singer 31-15. 

00c0c_jKhjjVzkLCR_600x450.jpg01212_aKJmQg0McxT_600x450.jpg00R0R_2pP6hpGSJXO_600x450.jpg

Edited by melancholycoyote