Matt S

Adler 105-64: how light can it sew?

I'm in the market for a cylinder-arm machine. I have a design in mind for mens' wallets which requires a cylinder arm machine. Thickness is between 2 and 4mm. Reverse is essential for this job, as access is very tight. Fairly straight-forward then -- so long as I use thread no larger than TKT20 (V138) I can use any number of Singer 153W or Pfaff 335 type machines. However, since workshop space is limited I would love to be able to use this machine also for sewing gussets into heavy satchels -- 4-8mm thickness of hard bridle leather should be easy enough but I want to use TKT10 (V277) thread or thicker, which elmiinates the usual cylinder-arm machines. I do not have the budget for a 441 or 205 type machine and was tempted to get a Singer 45K89 (cylinder arm snapping-foot with reverse) as I can deal with dog-marks. However some Adler 105-64s have come up, which seem to be a generally more refined product with more parts and accessories available off the shelf. Plus, I like needle-feed! :-)

So to my question. The manual for the 105-64 recommends needles as small as 22/140, which will work well with TKT20 (V138) thread. I realise this is at the lighter end of the machine's comfort zone. Will I encounter problems forming a neat stitch in 2mm total of veg-tan leather? I am hoping that a 105-64 will prove to be a very flexible machine for a variety of jobs where my BUSM #6 is too much gun.

You can only get smaller sizes than 160 needles in non leather point. I have used a normal round point needle for years on my Seiko STW 8B, sewing mostly clothing leather, but occasionally 3mm bridle butts. I think your problem is going to be that the needles for the 105 in thin sizes are going to deflect more easily, and also break. My personal opinion is that a 130 is the smallest I would go to.As I have now dismounted my 105, as it is for sale, I cannot do any experimentation for you. I did buy some 130 needles, but as I now have a 205/370(new toy) I never got round to trying it out.

lt is going to depend on how fast you are wanting to go. Industrials are designed to go flat out, so manufacturers´recommendations reflect that.

Hi Diyer, I think your machine is one that's tempting me ;-)

I take your point about deflecting thinner needles, I used words I didn't even think I knew as I turned size 160 331LR needles into shrapnel when I couldn't use the needle steady on my #6. Running flat-out is not something I intend to do, which as you point out will help with any deflection issues.

Have you done much sewing around 2mm with your 105?

Unless you glue everything you want to sew you'll have a lot of problems with slippage trying to sew real thin #1 since it's only a needlefeed you 'll need to loosen the foot pressure up & also work (loosen) both the top & bobbin tension  to be able to use the thin thread & then you'll have to re-adjust everything when you go to thick thread.I always tell people there's no machine that does it all & if you want or need to sew such a wide range of thickness you should get 2 machines.The 4oz would be better suited for a good old Singer home machine than a 105.I would also say that 138 is too thick for 2oz of leather,you need #69 or 46.

I have not used the 105 for anything thinner than 3mm-as I have a Seiko STW8B for thin stuff. I bought the Adler many years after  the Seiko.