Dwight

We are now a catalog?

Quite honestly, . . . don't know about anyone else, . . .

I've become a bit tired of this site having become a dumping ground for every oddball leather jockey who has to present 20, 30, 40, or however many pictures, . . . hog up the whole top of the display, . . . and load the activity with (as of today) someone's idea of making this a catalog shopping experience for cheap motorcycle garb.

If someone does a "Mona Lisa" in leather, . . . present it, . . . share it, . . . show it off, . . . but it does not have to knock off every thing else for 3, 4, 5 days, . . . with 15 different views or lighting options on the same flower.

Yeah, . . . grumpy today.

May God bless,

Dwight

Seems like your on point this morning Dwight. What is driving me round the bend is the 67 emails. I keep getting March's email notifications over and over. And since I use my smart phone for most things its going off constantly. I saw the gallery pic when opened the site but i usually look and see whats going on in the sub forums. 

Hey Grumpy, Toss some Resolene in your morning coffee and  all will be well in the world. I haven't seen the catalog yet, but I'll take a look in a sec.  :crazy:

You have my curiousity peaked.

MY only gripe, and it's petty, is the user who asks questions and obviously has not bothered to do even a rudimentary search to see that it has been asked and answered 100 times.

But, life's too short to let stuff like that really bother me

You have all hit the nail on the head and it is for that reason that I have asked the Admin's what it would take for me to close this account as I have not time for this anymore.  I have asked twice and have not even received a response from them over the past 2 weeks now.  If I am going to spend my time trying to help a new leather worker out then I want it to be spent working with someone who is actually interested in this trade and not just someone who wants everyone to do the thinking and designing and everything else for them; if you want to learn then do it but don't waste out time to do it for you.

Who knows, maybe I might get a response finally.

Morning fellas. I am new to this board as far as posting numbers are concerned. I see Dwight's point about not wanting to see all those pictures. But if the rules of the forum aren't being broken, what can you do.

I see TomG's point. I am on a guitar forum and we see the same questions over and over being asked. What do you do? Being a new guy here I am sure I am going to ask something that will make the forum veteran's here think I am stupid. You just got to remember you were new once. As much as learning is important, reaching out and teaching is even more so.

I hope 2- 3 years from now I will have some sort of standing with this place. One has to earn it first, just like anywhere else. Have a nice day all.

1 hour ago, Mattsbagger said:

Seems like your on point this morning Dwight. What is driving me round the bend is the 67 emails. I keep getting March's email notifications over and over. And since I use my smart phone for most things its going off constantly. I saw the gallery pic when opened the site but i usually look and see whats going on in the sub forums. 

Yes . . what the hell changed that all of a sudden I keep getting emails for notifications that I read and deleted several weeks ago!  :blink:  Every day now I have Thunderbird go and get "new emails" and then spend ages scrolling up to find the "new" emails to delete!!!  :huh:

If all those gloves had been made by hand you'd say "impressive" but does anyone think they are?  Exactly. Admin?  Use some sense please?

Well, it looks like the motorcycle gloves and vests that were taking up all of the header space have been removed.  I even got an error message half-way through browsing the profile of that business from Pakistan that posted his product catalog that I could no longer view that information.  Did someone pull the plug on that account?  Amazing!

1 hour ago, Bodean said:

Morning fellas. I am new to this board as far as posting numbers are concerned. I see Dwight's point about not wanting to see all those pictures. But if the rules of the forum aren't being broken, what can you do.

I see TomG's point. I am on a guitar forum and we see the same questions over and over being asked. What do you do? Being a new guy here I am sure I am going to ask something that will make the forum veteran's here think I am stupid. You just got to remember you were new once. As much as learning is important, reaching out and teaching is even more so.

I hope 2- 3 years from now I will have some sort of standing with this place. One has to earn it first, just like anywhere else. Have a nice day all.

There is nothing wrong with asking a question when you can't find the answer to what you are looking for; the most common thing going though is that the same questions are being asked over and over again instead of doing a little bit of homework and research (basic search run) which really doesn't imply that the one asking that question is really trying to learn.  Learning and sharing in an environment like ours is vital to ensuring that the new leather worker has a chance to gain knowledge but it is also very important to ensure that those who are truly wanting to learn get taken care of versus that once in awhile lurker who just wants a quick response without trying to find the information.

The amount information contained within this community is enough to publish several books so there is no reason for the same thing to asked on a daily basis; a little bit of patience and a desire to research a topic is all that is needed and it doesn't cost you anything.  If this information was published it would cost a fortune.  It isn't about the number of times a person posts because forums are full of people who post all of the time; the content of the post is what matters and here the content is predominantly informative and educational, as it should be.

I think there might be a "settings" issue here. I don't get any e-mails at all, and I don't see the banner ads at the top of the home page. 

10 minutes ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

There is nothing wrong with asking a question when you can't find the answer to what you are looking for; the most common thing going though is that the same questions are being asked over and over again instead of doing a little bit of homework and research (basic search run) which really doesn't imply that the one asking that question is really trying to learn.  Learning and sharing in an environment like ours is vital to ensuring that the new leather worker has a chance to gain knowledge but it is also very important to ensure that those who are truly wanting to learn get taken care of versus that once in awhile lurker who just wants a quick response without trying to find the information.

The amount information contained within this community is enough to publish several books so there is no reason for the same thing to asked on a daily basis; a little bit of patience and a desire to research a topic is all that is needed and it doesn't cost you anything.  If this information was published it would cost a fortune.  It isn't about the number of times a person posts because forums are full of people who post all of the time; the content of the post is what matters and here the content is predominantly informative and educational, as it should be.

I understand all that, but there are some questions that have open ended answers or many different opinions. Sometimes questions need new answers. By the way which sewing machine should I buy to sew leather? lol. Just joking. 

I read, and read, and read the stuff here, but it is a lot of info to intake. I guess I asked a stupid question the other day in a post, because I got no answer. I was trying to make conversation, but learn at the same time. I later found the answer on my own.but  if that person would have at least told me the name of what I was asking about, it would have made it a lot easier to find the info. It's hard to find something when you don't know the name of it.

It's easy when you get so good at what you do, and forget how it is to be a beginner. I do it too, I have to teach things often in my daily job. What I take for granted as easy, is not for other people, and some never get it at all. 

If a search is SO easy to do, then when somebody asks that "dumb" question -- just post the link to the information for them.  Simple.  It may be that there is SO much info that the new guy can't 'sort' it.  And often a simple search returns some not-so-simple results (I have had people get red-face mad about things I never said ;) ).

This is likely the reason for the gloves - and other such.  "They" likely don't care if it's on the front lines.. they just know that a search for leather 'stuff' often produces this site.  

In defense of some of the newbie stuff, myself included. 

You do a search.  You come up with a hundred results that might be closely related but not really what you are looking for, spend 30 minutes  or more reading half of em, still not really find your answer.  So then you got to decide keep reading, throw phone against the wall and just go shoot something or post your question.  The entire time thinking to yourself, I can't be the first person to have this question here.

I don't know. Same problems in every forum. Same thing in archery tak forum, the biggest archery forum out there. 

Rant over

I try to zap the spammers as soon as I see them, or someone reports them. We get kind of busy some days, and I appreciate the help when someone clicks the "report" button. As far as the emails go- our server had a serious hiccup this week. I got over a thousand "old" emails, so I understand the frustration, but that's what happened when we cleared up the bigger problem. Emails spontaneously flew. Sigh. There is a setting for this, however, in your control panel. You can configure your notifications to your liking. The board will send you a notice for everything, nothing, or something in between. You can even get once a week notifications, or you can shut it off entirely. I'm sorry for the inconvenience with the extra emails and occasional spammer. If that is the worst problem today, however, I will be thankful.

~J

Thanks, Johanna.............

May God bless,

Dwight

One of my number one gripes in any forum has always been the lack of searching both the forum and google. Yes, sometimes its hard but seriously they invented google for a reason... 

Granted, I worked IT for awhile where google search skills are one of the most important parts of the job. LOL :)

In the search box on the top right of the page, click the magnifying glass icon and you will be on the advanced search page. If there is an option you want that we don't have, let me know and I will try to add it.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/search/

TIP:

It takes less time to post a link to the info someone is asking for than to bitch that they asked.

1 hour ago, Johanna said:

I try to zap the spammers as soon as I see them, or someone reports them. We get kind of busy some days, and I appreciate the help when someone clicks the "report" button. As far as the emails go- our server had a serious hiccup this week. I got over a thousand "old" emails, so I understand the frustration, but that's what happened when we cleared up the bigger problem. Emails spontaneously flew. Sigh. There is a setting for this, however, in your control panel. You can configure your notifications to your liking. The board will send you a notice for everything, nothing, or something in between. You can even get once a week notifications, or you can shut it off entirely. I'm sorry for the inconvenience with the extra emails and occasional spammer. If that is the worst problem today, however, I will be thankful.

~J

I've turned off every email option in each sub forum and main and follwed content. Still getting them just stopped deleting emails. When I stop getting for a few hrs will delete and see what happens. No worries I know computer glitches happen have to deal with it work too. Lol

43 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

TIP:

It takes less time to post a link to the info someone is asking for than to bitch that they asked.

But... It's more FUN to bitch :yeah:

2 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

I've turned off every email option in each sub forum and main and follwed content. Still getting them just stopped deleting emails. When I stop getting for a few hrs will delete and see what happens. No worries I know computer glitches happen have to deal with it work too. Lol

I too have found today that I'm still getting the old emails which, some being at least several weeks old, need me to hunt in my In-box to find them and delete them . . but even when an error is corrected within ANYTHING with computers it can take a while to settle down . . just look at the effect some of Microsoft's W10 upgrades have had. :crazy:

Thank you Johanna. :)

4 hours ago, Brianm77 said:

In defense of some of the newbie stuff, myself included. 

You do a search.  You come up with a hundred results that might be closely related but not really what you are looking for, spend 30 minutes  or more reading half of em, still not really find your answer.  So then you got to decide keep reading, throw phone against the wall and just go shoot something or post your question.  The entire time thinking to yourself, I can't be the first person to have this question here.

So true. I am still a newbie and would't know half the terminology involved in leatherwork. I search google first which usually brings up heaps of results from this page first. Then I search this forum which can bring up pages upon pages of results that are people showing off their work with no information regarding what I am looking for in the first place. 

Probably the most annoying thing I have found on this forum compared to others is there is to many categories and sub categories (86 total I just counted) to search through for newbies like myself. I believe so many could be merged with others to make it easier to search for answers. 

As JLSLeather says:

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

TIP:

I find the spammers annoying.

As someone in the adolescent stages of the craft, I and others like me ( I've noticed ) try to field the simple questions.

I see it as a way to give back for the help you all gave me. I don't always have the right answer, but I try to give a good answer and let them know I may be wrong.

I hope this is relieving some of the load.

On 2017-04-01 at 9:02 AM, alpha2 said:

I think there might be a "settings" issue here. I don't get any e-mails at all, and I don't see the banner ads at the top of the home page. 

Your settings do indeed make a difference to what email notifications you get.  You can set them to get nothing, or just items you have commented/posted on.

If you have an ad blocker, you will not see the banner ads at the top of the page unless you disable it for this site.

You can also tailor what you see when you log into the site.  Check under the menu item "Activity" to set up what you want to see.

Tom

On 2017-04-01 at 3:48 PM, AussieMade said:

So true. I am still a newbie and would't know half the terminology involved in leatherwork. I search google first which usually brings up heaps of results from this page first. Then I search this forum which can bring up pages upon pages of results that are people showing off their work with no information regarding what I am looking for in the first place.

Try limiting your Google search to just this site.  You can place "site:leatherworker.net" followed by your search terms / parameters.  The Google servers are huge and much better indexed than this server, so you will get faster and better results.

Tom