jemry

Lace / Strap cutter and beveler

Hello All,

I have been working on some new tooling and would like to get your feedback on things that could be improved. I thought it turned out well but as always all of us are smarter than one of us.

This is my version of a lace cutter. It does both 90 degree cuts and 45 degree bevels. The main bar is 1" steel and about 5" long. I use a shaft collar for quick and repeatable width adjustments. It is attached by bolts or can simply be clamped to your table. there is no wobble in the fitting of any components and its very solid.  The main shaft rotates so the angle of the bevel can be facing the collar or away from the collar.

I tried to do two things. One is to make it small enough that it could be out all the time without taking up too much space on the bench while being large enough to be very enjoyable to use. Second, I spent some time sourcing off the shelf components so as to keep the price down.

I hope the pic resolution is high enough to see the details.  Anyways, thanks for looking. 

Josh

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

Bloody excellent!

I think we could all use one of these in our workshops. Looks like a huge labour saver.

Looks like a great idea. A short pin attached to the shaft collar would help to hold the leather down and in place and allow multiple thicknesses of leather by simply rotating the collar around the shaft until the pin lightly touches the leather.;) Regards Brian

fantastic! I made a similar one but in Delrin!

looks great to me!

I was just looking at this on CL and thinking I need to get one. it looks like a great tool Josh. I like the stamps you are making too, and will have you make me one when I have a need for a new one. I hope this is taking off for you

19 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

Bloody excellent!

I think we could all use one of these in our workshops. Looks like a huge labour saver.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

18 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Looks like a great idea. A short pin attached to the shaft collar would help to hold the leather down and in place and allow multiple thicknesses of leather by simply rotating the collar around the shaft until the pin lightly touches the leather.;) Regards Brian

Thank you for the suggestion.  I like that idea.  I made some collars out of 3" 6061 aluminum to try that out just haven't finished them off.  But I will post when i finish it.  Knowing that is what people look for is helpful.  

Thanks again,

Josh

18 hours ago, Sanch said:

fantastic! I made a similar one but in Delrin!

Nice! I thought of doing the same but Delrin was more expensive for me to get than steel.  

17 hours ago, Windrider30 said:

looks great to me!

Thank you.  Much appreciated.

16 hours ago, Harris said:

I was just looking at this on CL and thinking I need to get one. it looks like a great tool Josh. I like the stamps you are making too, and will have you make me one when I have a need for a new one. I hope this is taking off for you

If your in the Portland area come on by and test it out.  I think you need one too. In fact i think you need several. lol  If you want to make some stamps i can show that to you as well.

50 minutes ago, jemry said:

Nice! I thought of doing the same but Delrin was more expensive for me to get than steel.  

Thank you.  Much appreciated.

mine was free! it doesn't see alot of use but when I does its nice!

Tandy leather make a lace cutter for £8

I can be seen using it at the start of this video.

55 minutes ago, gmace99 said:

Tandy leather make a lace cutter for £8

I can be seen using it at the start of this video.

yup got one of those too it's how I cut the lace for my avatar 

2 hours ago, Sanch said:

mine was free! it doesn't see alot of use but when I does its nice!

If your getting Derlin for free I need to start hanging out with you.

7 minutes ago, jemry said:

If your getting Derlin for free I need to start hanging out with you.

lol! would've likedto make it out of stainless but the Delrin scrap was readily available yours looks better than mine20170404_190228_resized_0.jpg.e93e1113d37cd1b1c7ad8eda6b3a8f3a.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sanch said:

lol! would've likedto make it out of stainless but the Delrin scrap was readily available yours looks better than mine20170404_190228_resized_0.jpg.e93e1113d37cd1b1c7ad8eda6b3a8f3a.jpg

Stainless would be nice.  Tough on tooling though. 

That looks good to me. I like the handle you have.  

2 hours ago, jemry said:

Stainless would be nice.  Tough on tooling though. 

That looks good to me. I like the handle you have.  

thanks it gets the job done when I use it!

On 4/4/2017 at 2:21 PM, jemry said:

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Hey Jemry,

I was thinking about making a version out of wood so I was searching of design ideas when I found this. NICE!

Are you selling versions of this? 

What angles available for edge beveling?

And how much?

Thanks

Chris

PS 505//712// 8672