Hello! 

I just acquired an old skiver and noticed that the feed roller has a slight wobble as its rotating. I took it apart to find that the roller driving shaft seems to be a bit worn down (it's no longer circular). Could the reason be for the wobble? I've attached some pictures. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Michelle 

Untitled design (2).jpg

Untitled design (4).jpg

I have no idea if this is the only cause for the wobble but you can try replacing it (costs about 6,5 Euro+shipping). I also bought an old skiver and mine was missing this part ('roller driving shaft joint'), found one in Poland (was a bit shorter but adapted):    http://www.szwalnia.pl/gb/1121-roller-driving-shaft-joint-for-typical-ak-801

What brand/model is your skiver machine?

Edited by gigi

Hi Michelle,

I would replace that drive shaft but as gigi said it may not be the cause of the wobble. I would put the thing back together without the shaft and try spinning the feed roller by hand to see if there are still wobbles. The shaft that the feed roller spins on is likely worn as well and need replacing. Also if it is a stone or rubber the feed wheel itself may need replacing as some operators can be known to adjust the feed wheel up and into the knife and do damage.Mostly though make sure there is no play in the knife up and down as if that is coming from the shaft that the knife attaches too, it may not be worth doing at all.

Hope that helps Regards Brian

Thank you @gigi and @RockyAussie for your quick replies! 

I actually don't know what model this skiver is, as I was told it was a Fortuna clone when I purchased it. I've attached a photo of it (you all have a more experience and better knowledge of this than me!). 

The knife blade doesn't move and the feed wheel was just replaced...so hopefully the driving shaft just needs to be replaced and I can find a suitable part. 

File_000.jpeg

Looks pretty good so If the feed wheel rotates on its spindle without slop all should be ok. If there is no great play in the little shaft that holds the feed wheel then there should be no wobbles unless the feed wheel itself is not made right.(Can Happen) Best to test this without the drive shaft in place to be sure.The drive shaft looks like it wobbles even from new a bit but generally has no effect on the smoothness of the feed wheel rotation.Hope that makes some sense. Regards Brian

Edited by RockyAussie
Mis word

The rod I've ordered was too short and it's made of quite soft metal, not really hardened steel. LW user @Constabulary who did an amazing job restoring my skiving machine, was cutting the rod, glued and pinned on a tube to extend it: not symmetric but otherwise it could come in touch with the bell knife. 

Maybe you can find the right size part for your machine. The one I've order had 9,3 cm total length.

But before ordering I would follow Brian's advise, he has a lot of experience with the skivers, helped with mine too.

Rod2.JPG

Edited by gigi