mickthedig

How to glue pig skin lining to very waxy Horween leather

I am making a folio case and need to line it with pig skin, but the Horween leather I am using is very very waxy and I am worried the glue will not stick.

I am wondering if there is away to remove the excess wax before I glue them togeather 

Anybody had the same problem and what did you do to get round it?

Thanks

Hmmm, I've never used anything real waxy like that. Do you have a small scrap piece of each type? What adhesive are you using?

You could use a scrap of each leather and just test it out gluing them together. It may take a few coats of adhesive to work too.

Again I don't have any experience with this leather but just my thoughts. 

When I glue oily wood I clean the surface with lacquer thinner immediately before applying the glue - dries the oils on the wood surface to allow for a better bond.  I think the same technique should work on oily leather.  As Stetson912 suggested, try on scrap pieces before committing to the project!

I have never worked with  Horween but what I would do is scuff up the area to be bonded with sandpaper an spray both leathers with 3m super 77 spray adhesive. I like the stuff It works 

Your dealing with oils and wax unlike wood where its just the oils and the thinner will remove the oils from the top and allow you to quickly glue to the top surface of wood. 

Horween say chromexel for example even if you split the leather there are oils thru out which will prevent good adhesion with glues. It can be done but IMHO you wont get the same adhesion as with regular vegtan. 

If you were using say sedgwick bridle leather you can split the back off enough to get rid of the oily/waxy layer and it glues like vegtan.

Regardless your gonna have to split the back off of it to have a chance of good adhesion.

If the Horween leather is that waxy/oily you might want to check with Horween to see what they recommend before you go ruining anything.  They do produce some leathers that clearly state that they CANNOT be glued to anything else; which also means that if you DO attempt to cement it to another piece of leather and it fails (which Horween says it will) they have no responsibility for later claims against them and you have no recourse to return product.  Understanding of how each type of leather is INTENDED to be used versus what your personal intentions are is a whole subject area within the leather working trade and a very vital area that more should attempt to participate in.  You can't use every type of leather to make everything that you want as some just don't work.  Nature of doing business.  It is also best to contact the manufacturer/tannery regarding the use of their supplied products as they would know best what does and does not work with their products.

Which Horween leather is it? I work with Horween Chromexcel fqhh and frequently line my pieces with pigskin. CXL is fairly waxy stuff and I have never had a problem adhering the pigskin lining to CXL with just Barge. It does help to scuff up the CXL a bit for a better bond.