Yetibelle

Singer 111W155 Needle Bar replaced

Just thought I would pass this along.  I had a crack in the needle bar of my 111W155 for a while, so last night I decided to replace the needle bar.  I have been putting it off since the machine runs so well I didn't want to disrupt the harmony  I figured that you would just have to remove the hole feed dog (and maybe hook) assembly, then loosen a few screws and the needle bar would slide out the bottom.  That is not the case however so I will try and describe it best I can.  First remove the needle and the feet from the machine.   You will need a good amount of light to see all this this since most of the work is lining up parts that are behind other parts that you can't see unless you have a flashlight on them.

The Parts in RED are what you remove, the parts in YELLOW are what you need to line up correctly when putting it back on.

Once you have the head door open there are a few obvious screws.  The needle bar set-screw lines up so you can adjust it (B) in pic, as it sits behind part 240248 that holds both the needle bar and the little foot bar assembly and tension.  You can loosen this screw (B).  Now starting at the top there is a set-screw (A) and the tension screw next to (A) - remove them.  Then remove the linkage screw on the left middle across from (B), and then the angle bracket screw on the bottom (D). There is a window behind the large set-pin below you can pop it from the back with a screw driver.  The whole assembly will slowly pull forward off the cam-link (B) and you will have the needle bar and the little foot assembly off the machine. 

Now you can remove the bad needle bar and put in the new one.  The trick to getting it all back together is the little foot spring tension bar needs to line up with the top hole (at the same time) you line up the Pin (B) into the cam arm linkage.  Put the foot tension screw back in a little ways so when the tension pin and spring pop back in they will rest against it.   There is a floating guide behind (D) - also marked in yellow below, that needs to line up in the track.  Once you have them all in-line the linkage will slide back into place.   You have to line up 4 separate parts at almost the same time to get it back into place.  The little-foot tension pin and spring - top -, the needle-cam arm (B) - middle -, the floating guide behind (D) - bottom -  and the linkage bracket (middle -left).  Once it is all back in place you can put all the screws back and the feet back on.  I got lucky and set the needle height correctly the first time so I didn't mess up the hook timing. 

58e280bef01e4_Singer111w155Needle3.thumb.jpg.a538b5f420cede3c46af61da6f07f9b2.jpg

58e279fcd97de_Singer111W155NeedleBarReplace.thumb.jpg.3b99b399f0043c88801c5ee927fefbd1.jpg

This is helpful, I have a 111w101 machine with a needle bar that may need replaced. it has a juryrigged needle holding screw and no thread guide, do you know if the thread guide is necessary or will it operate fine without one? Many thanks, 

- Will