Sanch

Would I? Fast down and dirty!

Okay so I have spent the last 45 minutes playing around with a piece of the L6 steel that I have and here are the results.20170403_183927_resized_0.jpg.ab3581bb6fe14d714c0482410ba1d150.jpg yes I realize that I totally missed the stitching Groove!20170403_183953_resized_0.jpg.036944fe4386ebf1bcd7024d86b66029.jpg as you can see this thing looks like a comb and it looks very very crude it took me longer to cut the piece of Steel out of the parent blade then it did for me to cut the teeth.20170403_184115_resized_0.jpg.cccb787e4cde0bbbc0ea315178e9616b.jpg as you can see the holes came out in somewhat of a diamond shape and very close together they are actually 7 SPI. Now for the nitty gritty, would I entertain making some of these vs buying them and would I, should I pursue this? I'm not too sure. So I had to experiment it was fun and it burned up a total of 1 hour of my time. The steel is so hard that I wouldn't even spend any time heat treating and tempering if I did decide to go forward with it. Anyhow thanks for looking and as always comments and questions are welcome.

I would never look to discourage a Craftsman, but some things are best left to a CNC.

The true test would be running some thread through those holes and then see what the final result looks like.  If you do, please post more pics :)

Looks on a puter are very deceiving, so if the holes are smaller than what it looks like in person it might be worth while, however if they are a larger than what we really see here then it becomes perforated leather and a weak spot, I am sure you know that but just in Case!

59 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I would never look to discourage a Craftsman, but some things are best left to a CNC.

Manual mill will do that quicker than you can draw the CAD file to write the program off of.

I dunno man, if that only took you an hour the first attempt, I'd be tempted to try it again implementing lessons learned. It looks close enough to try again. Taking into account @OLDNSLOW's words, I'd do it.

28 minutes ago, JimTimber said:

Manual mill will do that quicker than you can draw the CAD file to write the program off of.

Never worked with a mill, or a lathe for that matter. Forgive my ignorance.

CNC is great for complex shapes and repetition.  For a simple pattern, a manual will do just fine and will be faster - no touching tools off, fixturing, edge finding, etc.  Just line up the material to the cutter and start making chips.  There's a lot of work that comes before you push the green button on a CNC mill.

ok so taking all in advisement yea the holes are too close for my liking and definitely not something i would put on anything I make. now having said that I will say this it would take longer to set up a mill to do this than it would be worth cause if I do make a "real" set meaning if I put the time into them I will only make one set, and they will be well planned and thought out. I do make knives so this was just playing around!  anyway haven't decided.Thanks for the replies!  OH and keep in mind 1 hour total time with an angle grinder LOL!

Edited by Sanch

You could narrow up the teeth, keep your SPI, and reduce the spacing at the same time.  No new blank and much quicker to second test. :)

I used to do everything with a jig saw, sawzall, or angle grinder.  Been there, and feel your pain.  Doing knives, a mini-mill might be worth the $$$.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

lmao never discourage me brudda!!

I've made pricking irons in the past, mainly for restoration work with weird stitch lengths. I think these are from a piece of gauge plate which works well because it's easily hardenable.

IMG_20170405_150823~01.jpg

Edited by William Bloke

55 minutes ago, William Bloke said:

I've made pricking irons in the past, mainly for restoration work with weird stitch lengths. I think these are from a piece of gauge plate which works well because it's easily hardenable.

So, how did you create the tines?

59 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

So, how did you create the tines?

Measured and marked the spacing I was after, sawed the slots and hand filed the angled with a three square file. It helps if you take the teeth off one flat of the file so it can run along the one tine as a guide while you file the angle on the next one.

I'm pretty sure that this is how the Blanchard irons are still made. (Prob with machine cut slots?) And I know that Dixon hand filed their irons right to the bitter end.

I was going to say that it doesn't take long to make one and it's useful if you don't have the right sized "proper" iron. And those ones in the photo have been languishing at the bottom of a box marked "Misc." For a long time. (As evidenced by the rust!)

But I have just realised that my 1/2 no 8 that I use quite a lot is one that I made when my original one went walkies with a work experience girl.

Edited by William Bloke

4 hours ago, William Bloke said:

yup, still thinking it's doable I spaced 2 cutting blades on my angle grinder yesterday it's just about perfect I cut out a new trial and will continue to pursue it as time permits.

There is a u-tube out about the making of pricking irons  I think it was in a Chinese or Japanese factory if I remember correct.

1 hour ago, electrathon said:

There is a u-tube out about the making of pricking irons  I think it was in a Chinese or Japanese factory if I remember correct.

quick search no results.