Hey guys I'm working on my first big project where I'm looking to make around 50-100 dog collars. I'm planning on doing 3/4 colours and 4 different sizes. I'm already designing the template for each and thinking about making a jig that will hold each strap to ensure that holes are punched quickly and accurately.

I have a few questions however ;

1. Do you think 3.5mm shoulder would be ok?

2. What dyes do you think I should use? I like more muted colours and have experience at oil dyes. However would these leak or have bad affect on dogs?

3. Who finish to weather seal it? Bees wax? (I have blocks of this) Acrylic Resolene? Or anything else that wouldn't harm a dog.

thanks for your help

Just my 2 cents based on my work in that market, so take it with a grain of salt:

1. I prefer to use 9/10oz+ (3.6+mm).

2. I would consider instead of dying veg-tan, using tack-quality latigo, bridle, or harness leathers. 

3. See above. Best products depend on circumstances. What are you planning to do with them? Just plain leather belt-style collars? Stamping? Tooling? Other stuff?

Please make sure you're using quality hardware, as well. The economy cheapo stuff really has no place on a dog collar, although many still use it. At the end of the day, you're making something made to contain a beloved predator with teeth and a typical, willful regard for their own safety. First and foremost, collars need to be strong and secure. 

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking to just crest simple belt style collars nothing fancy no tooling or stamping.  We are going to be using solid brass hardware however looking at which rivets would be suitable ATM. 

What reasons would you use bridal over veg tan?

Well, bridle leather IS veg-tanned, but done differently.

Through the tanning process, all those three types I named will be stuffed with oils, waxes, and dyes. I prefer them for primarily water resistance, durability, and resiliency.

Plus, the bridle leather comes in many nice looking colors with pretty much no dye rub off.