Just finished up saddle #4. With a few years between each one I think it's safe to say I'm not getting any better or quicker at building them. My cantle binding stitching is embarrassing and I shorted the front jockeys when I fit the seat but after much deliberation I let both fly. First time with all smooth out, which made it a little more of a chore not to mark things up.

Built with Chahin leather from Weaver and mostly JWP hardware. Tree is a Bowden. 

All on all I'm happy with it but well aware of the flaws. I did get the skirts blocked better and the rear jockeys fit down OK. Which is an improvement from #3. So there's some good news. :)

Thanks for looking and have a good day folks! 

031.jpg

067.jpg

Very pretty color. Not being a saddle man it looks great to me.

Josh,

The saddle looks good.  It looks like a good working saddle; just the right amount of tooling.  I believed that you used Herman Oak in the past, did you see must difference in the Chahin?  Will this saddle be a keeper, or is it sold already?

Ron

Thanks Biker!

Thank you too Ron! I used Chahin for saddle #'s 1, 2 and now #4 and HO for #3. The Chahin I bought for saddles 1 and 2 was really good as far as I remember, it's been several years. The stuff I just got for this saddle was OK but the sides were a little small and pretty hacked up with butcher cuts. It did cut, form, edge and oil up just fine and seems basically OK. My personal saddle (#2) is the Chahin and has held up fine. My wife's saddle (#3) is the HO and has stayed much firmer than mine but it's also 14/16 where mine was 13/15, although I'm not sure that would make any difference.

This one is sold already, it went to a neighbor that for some reason got it in his head he should have a saddle I built. I was very up front with him about my limitations, but he wanted one all the same. 

Thanks again guys!

Josh,

Congrats on getting another one completed. I share your agony on the mistakes. It's tough to let some go when you know it could be better. I just ordered more leather for a swell cover that I couldn't live with. Thanks for sharing. I like looking at other folks work.

Randy

Thanks Randy! I like seeing what others are up to as well. Gives a person ideas and inspiration. Well, some peoples stuff gives ideas and inspiration, my cantle binding could give a person nightmares! I've deliberately not shown more than a profile pic to protect those with sensitive stomachs ;)

Hey, it should make you feel good that people like your work, so congratulations on a commission sales.  When I do straight up seats, I always do a hidden stitch just so my cantle stitching is somewhat hidden.  Yours looks like it rawhide covered.  If so, one way would be to stitch the front and fold a scalloped back over and nail it.  I normally wouldn't do this, but lately I've worked on saddles made by experienced saddle makers that have used this method, and they look pretty good.  Hang in there Josh so one day I can say "...I new him when..."

Also, I've been trying to make lighter weight saddles lately, and I'm having a hard time finding sides that have a consistence weight without run-off at the shoulders.  So, I'm just curious about tanners other than H.O..  I mostly use W&C.

Ron 

Thanks again Ron! I've been wondering about trying the scalloped and nailed back. Maybe when I get around to the next one I'll give it a try.

All the best, Josh

Hi Josh!

I think you did a really nice saddle!

Hand stitching is really challenging ---- Cantle Bindinds will drive a person crazy.

Regards Billy

Ok not sure what happened to the note I had started, maybe I got it posted by accident.  If so the end of the note is take your time.  Once the result is what you want, you will be proud to show it off and know you won.  If the front of this note didn't get posted, I will rewrite it later.

Bottom line is , take your time, the result is worth the effort.

Bob

So guess the first part of the previous note didn't make it, what I was trying to say was, pick out the hardest thing to accomplish since you have already built several saddles and know where your downfalls are, and attack it with the mindset that you can do it.  I have seen your work over the years and you are ready to achieve that next level.  As for cantle bindings, do a std binding with visable stitching.  One trick is use not only a stitch wheel on the front, but; on the back also.  Next is start an awl from the back to make an exit hole for your front awl.  You will be amazed at how the front awl finds the back hole. Make a special effort to keep the amount of tension you put on each stitch the same.  The result will give you a reason to be proud.  It takes time and effort, but; you'll be glad you took the time to master it.

Bob

Thank you Bob! I appreciate your comments!

Have a great Friday afternoon and weekend folks!