Melonie

HELP: holding leather in place while sewing

Hi everyone, I am reaching out in hopes of discovering the methods that you use to hold your leather in place as you sew. I have a CB227R and I LOVE it, but sometimes when I am sewing multiple layers, some of of the layers slip out of alignment and result in a crooked stitch and just a lot of complications altogether with the shape of the product. I am dealing with 5 oz oil/chrome tanned leather, but it is not very oily to the touch at all. I often use those little black office clips to hold parts in place as I sew, but I have a feeling that there are some much better methods that I don't know about. 

Edited by Melonie

what about dress makers double sided tape?

6 hours ago, Melonie said:

Hi everyone, I am reaching out in hopes of discovering the methods that you use to hold your leather in place as you sew. I have a CB227R and I LOVE it, but sometimes when I am sewing multiple layers, some of of the layers slip out of alignment and result in a crooked stitch and just a lot of complications altogether with the shape of the product. I am dealing with 5 oz oil/chrome tanned leather, but it is not very oily to the touch at all. I often use those little black office clips to hold parts in place as I sew, but I have a feeling that there are some much better methods that I don't know about. 

Contact cement the edges together and sew inside of the cement line.  Check out Arthur Porter on YouTube

Depends what I am sewing.  Sometimes I use glue. And sometimes I use a wire tack  .  The thin tack I hammer in where the stitch would be.  Then remove them as I get close to them

I  would not think of sewing anything leather, . . . without first contact cementing the parts together.

Makes life so, so, so . . . . much simpler.

May God bless,

Dwight

Staples work too.  Remove just before you reach them so they don't deflect the sewing machine needle.  Depending on what I'm working with, I prefer to glue with contact cement, next option, leather tape or double sided tape, next staples, next poke a single hole every so often and tie together with thread.  Don't like the time it takes to tie though.  On pre-punched kits, I would tie them together to align all the parts, then of course hand stitch or lace after.

Tom

Thank you all!! I don't know why I never thought about using adhesives. Contact cement it is!

Melonie, . . . get Weldwood brand, . . . I've used it for 40+ years on more things than I can recall, . . . leather is just one of them, . . . cloth, lumber, metal, etc.

Secondly, . . . go to a Harbor Freight store, . . . ask for acid brushes, . . . http://www.harborfreight.com/36-pc-12-in-horsehair-bristle-acid-shop-brushes-61880.html

Most of the time, I use one today, . . . it gets hard by the next time I need it, . . . so I pitch it.  but at less than a dime apiece, . . . it is good to be able to use a new one every time.  

A very thin coat on both surfaces, . . . go over it with a heat gun or a hair dryer, . . . get both pieces dry enough that they are no longer sticky, . . . put em together, . . . and put some pressure on it.  Sometimes I'll lay a piece of wood on the leather and smack the wood with a mallet, . . . makes it stick right real good.  You will rip the leather apart if you need to take it apart, . . . most of the time.

If you are doing big pieces, . . . lots of the cement, . . . make sure you have adequate ventilation, . . . it does stink.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

On 4/4/2017 at 11:44 PM, Dwight said:

Melonie, . . . get Weldwood brand, . . . I've used it for 40+ years on more things than I can recall, . . . leather is just one of them, . . . cloth, lumber, metal, etc.

Secondly, . . . go to a Harbor Freight store, . . . ask for acid brushes, . . . http://www.harborfreight.com/36-pc-12-in-horsehair-bristle-acid-shop-brushes-61880.html

Most of the time, I use one today, . . . it gets hard by the next time I need it, . . . so I pitch it.  but at less than a dime apiece, . . . it is good to be able to use a new one every time.  

A very thin coat on both surfaces, . . . go over it with a heat gun or a hair dryer, . . . get both pieces dry enough that they are no longer sticky, . . . put em together, . . . and put some pressure on it.  Sometimes I'll lay a piece of wood on the leather and smack the wood with a mallet, . . . makes it stick right real good.  You will rip the leather apart if you need to take it apart, . . . most of the time.

If you are doing big pieces, . . . lots of the cement, . . . make sure you have adequate ventilation, . . . it does stink.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you so much for the detailed advice, Dwight! I will definitely look into this process too

I use these when I'm hand stitching often and when I glue down things I have a set that is covered in leather that I made. not sure how it will work for a sewing machine though.http://www.staples.com/Acco-ACC72050-Binder-Clip-Medium-5-8-Capacity-Black-Silver-12-PK/product_669767

Edited by Grumpymann
Missing link

On 4/4/2017 at 4:47 PM, northmount said:

Staples work too.  Remove just before you reach them so they don't deflect the sewing machine needle.  Depending on what I'm working with, I prefer to glue with contact cement, next option, leather tape or double sided tape, next staples, next poke a single hole every so often and tie together with thread.  Don't like the time it takes to tie though.  On pre-punched kits, I would tie them together to align all the parts, then of course hand stitch or lace after.

Tom

Staples work really well when sewing anything on top on hair-on-hide leather!

Bob Stelmack

Edited by stelmackr