Hockeymender

ISM SV-71 Motor

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the ISM SV-71 motor. I just received one and am contemplating putting it into service but wanted to get some input from anyone that uses (or has used) this motor. Looking thru the manual the setup seems a bit convoluted, but that may just be my take on it. Welcome any feedback/reviews. 

You piqued my curiosity, so I downloaded the manual - lots and lots of options in this one! I was intrigued by the automatic pulley ratio calculation.

ISM motors are very good quality, however, this appears to be one of the same sold by many other mfg.  

3 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

ISM motors are very good quality, however, this appears to be one of the same sold by many other mfg.  

Gregg,

Are you stating this is just a "generic" motor with an ISM label? The little bit of research I've done seems to show that this particular model sells at a higher price than the group of motors that all seem to be alike with different names.  I was under the impression (maybe mistakenly) that this was a better offering. 

1 hour ago, Hockeymender said:

Gregg,

Are you stating this is just a "generic" motor with an ISM label? The little bit of research I've done seems to show that this particular model sells at a higher price than the group of motors that all seem to be alike with different names.  I was under the impression (maybe mistakenly) that this was a better offering. 

...and you could be 100% correct, I'm not sure.  

When it comes to motors, the best thing you can do is install it, and see how how it goes in a real world situation.  I've seen too many spec sheets and motors that look great, but just do not perform they way people would like.

What kind of money is this, and I'm not holding you to it?  I don't know anything about this motor and don't claim to, other than ISM motors are really good quality out of Taiwan.

These motors seem to be selling in the $260-280 range. The others I referenced are in the $110-150 range.

Hockeymender,

Looks like you scored! I was also curious and looked up the motor, yes they are a bit more expensive than others that look similar.

Hope it works for you, keep us posted!

17 hours ago, Hockeymender said:

These motors seem to be selling in the $260-280 range. The others I referenced are in the $110-150 range.

If you get one, I'll be on the lookout for a review, for sure.

I have the motor. A synchronizer is on the way. The plan is to put this motor on my Pfaff 438 and put it thru the paces to see how it does.

1 hour ago, Hockeymender said:

I have the motor. A synchronizer is on the way. The plan is to put this motor on my Pfaff 438 and put it thru the paces to see how it does.

438?? That's not real test, come on!!

26 minutes ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

438?? That's not real test, come on!!

Curious, what what you consider a real test? lol

42 minutes ago, suzelle said:

Yes, what's a real test? No high speed production here, just lots of slow detail work. 

Well let us know how she works once you hook up that mean motor to that lean machine!

22 hours ago, suzelle said:

Just teasing a bit here, generally speaking, a Pfaff 438 is used or can be used for sewing up to 6,000 RPM, depending machine subclass and depending on goods being sewn.  Ultra high speed capable zig zag.

However, many are using this for light to light medium dacron with light to medium weight threads. 

Still, this is not pushing the motor like a walking foot may, in terms of low end torque.  

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Thanks for clearing that up Greg. Better to get a little more motor than you need rather than the other way, as long as it is not dangerously powerful. Sounds like Hockeymender just needs a little a little advice here.

On 4/4/2017 at 8:08 PM, Hockeymender said:

...ISM SV-71 motor. I just received one and am contemplating putting it into service but wanted to get some input from anyone that uses (or has used) this motor. Looking thru the manual the setup seems a bit convoluted, but that may just be my take on it. Welcome any feedback/reviews. 

Hockeymender,

Found the manual I think, is this it?

http://www.yhhism.com/NW/archive/file/SV-71_Ver1A.pdf

I have to admit, I find some of my manuals are hard to understand, especially my SWF embroidery machines, made in Korea. Much of the "English" version of the instructions are very broken, difficult to understand, or incorrect because of poor translation. Drives me crazy

That's the one. 

Oh boy, no pictures or diagrams to help explain. Joe, have you ever installed a sewing machine motor before? I've installed a few, but not a servo yet. Hopefully someone can chime in who has installed motors like yours. Can you describe what part of install has you the most puzzled?

Installed many motors in the past. Most servo motors with a schronizer attached. Those need to be programmed and really are not a big deal. When the schronizer arrives for this motor I will install this arrangement. The programming looks a little less straight forward than some others, but I'm certain I'll figure it out. 

I just wanted to know if anyone has one of these motors and if so, how well they liked or disliked them. 

Forgot, guess I did install a servo a while back, way back! I had forgotten about it because it died on me fairly quickly so I haven't been to keen on servo type motors since. The machine I had it on I no longer own, my first walking foot machine. But that was when servo motors first came out and it sounds like they are being made better now, so I'm ready to try another.

My main machine that I use these days is an older Pfaff 545 with large bobbin, made about 1979. A fantastic machine in like new condition, it's a monster! I like the motor that is on it, but it's an old clutch type and goes like the wind. I'd like to put a servo on it to slow it down when sewing finer detail stuff. What I sew with that old Pfaff is mostly thick canvas/tarp, banner material, and sunbrella. With a servo motor, I would use it for leather clothing items and handbags.

A little trick I use when I have manuals in other languages. I tried it with the manual for this and it does allow copy and paste on the PDF so you might consider giving it a try. I copy and paste the original language in the sections that don't make sense into Google translate. You will find that 90% of the time the translation will be close but not the same and it has helped me make sense of stuff in the past.

Just to give you an idea, your manual starts with the English Title "For Safe Operation". If you copy and paste the Chinese text directly under into Google translate it reads, "Important Safety Matters". Says the same thing..differently and sometimes its all in the syntax.

Hope this helps!

Half the fun is trying to figure out what they're trying to say :lol:. I consider it a bit of a challenge.

4 hours ago, ultimind said:

Any update on this SV71 servo? How has it been working for you?

I have several in service and am very pleased with them. They have become my “go to” motor. 

21 hours ago, Hockeymender said:

I have several in service and am very pleased with them. They have become my “go to” motor. 

Fantastic to hear! Gives me more confidence in trying one out now.