Hey all, 

I own a Juki 1541s that I have used for years doing wallets and purses.

I am wanting to branch out into horse tack - specifically breast collars and headstalls. The largest thread I've been able to use comfortably is #138 with a 23 needle. I am wondering if this is suitable for such things as breastcollars or do I need a more heavy duty machine?

As long as my machine is well oiled I'm able to sew through 2 layers of saddle skirting but it is at the upper limits of it's ability it seems.  Ideally I would like to continue with my Juki maybe make some modifications if possible but do not want to make tack that wont hold up!  I have searched for an answer but haven't found a clear answer on this specific machine. Thanks for your input!

I hate to tell you this but you need a larger machine to sew with thicker thread.

The are no new machines in that class and price range unless you live in southeast China. The cheapest new machine (short-arm 441 style machines) that covers your application range in the U.S. runs about $1,600 before shipping. You may be able to find a used one if you're extremely lucky. 

Without knowing where you live, it's hard to make more specific product suggestions.

I'm in N.E. Ohio - Looks like I have a few options within a few hours drive from me as far as industrial machine suppliers. I will need to sell my Juki to get into the price range it looks like.

ObjectMaker.

Call Ryan at Neal's Saddlery because he may be  closer to you than Bob at Toledo Sewing.  Ryan is the importer for the Cowboy brand of sewing machines and he may have something for you.  I would look at the 3200 machine that he carries.  Both men are great to deal with.  Take samples if you are going to test items you will be sewing.

glenn

ObjectMaker;

I don't usually recommend these machines, but, since you're in Ohio, if you go to Ryan O'Neal or Bob Kovar's shops, ask them to show you a CB2500. Ryan used to sell them as the Neal's #5 Machine. The reason I don't mention them much is because they are bottom feeders only and have huge teeth. If your horse tack won't need to be perfect on the bottom, the 2500 will do. The main pluses are that these machines can sew up to 7/16" of leather and that they use larger sizes of thread, ranging from #138 up to #415. The third plus is that they generally sell between $995 and $1395, plus shipping, complete with a table, motor and 3:1 speed reducer.

If tooth marks on the bottom cannot be tolerated, you'll need to move up to at least the CB3200, which sews up to 1/2 inch, with thread sizes 138 through 415. It normally sells for $1695, plus shipping. It has a totally smooth feed dog, just like its bigger brothers.

5 hours ago, ObjectMaker said:

Thank You Wiz- I have been thinking about that machine as the strength is there and the price is right. Will check it out for sure.

Bob Kovar posted some photos last year of the back of veg-tan leather sewn on a CB2500, before and after he smoothed it with a teaspoon. The results weren't that bad for the money. He also has an optional roller foot for these machines. The design is an outgrowth of the ancient Singer 45k machines.

It could work for me because I have the JUki for things that need more finesse. The tack I sew the backsides are not such an issue. I saw the pictures that were posted on the website of the backs and they looked acceptable to me.