Christine

Strap work - your dream setup with machinery ?

Hello everybody,
I do a lot of horsetack and belts, live in europe. I started my own business 6 years ago.
I do some strapwork, 100-150 straps a week, and I hate it. I do it all with handtools, one at a time.
What would your dream setup be with machinery to this job ? It is belts, reins and strapwork for bridles. I am really considering how to do it faster and easier, but don't want to spend money on something not worth it.
Have a great day !

Regards Christine

With the kind of volume you have, both a power strap cutter and an edger would pay for themselves in time savings.  I have both and could not imagine going back doing it by hand.  If you are painting the edges, getting equipment to speed that up is also a good idea.  Time to take the drudgery out of it and have more time for other things.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

I have the edge dye box thing from Weaver, and the paint dries out even with the cap on. Really annoying as it is very difficult to clean and reload. Besides it is a crap job to edgepaint reins or other long stuff, as you get it on fingers and on it self when you cant dye in one long stroke.

importing from outside EU, The equipment price is actually doubled before it is set up in my shop. Because of shipping and tax and handling. I found a german site selling a skivingmachine (can these machines skive bridle leather ?) and a strap cutting machine taking up to 10 oz leather in thickness.

2 hours ago, Christine said:

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

I have the edge dye box thing from Weaver, and the paint dries out even with the cap on. Really annoying as it is very difficult to clean and reload. Besides it is a crap job to edgepaint reins or other long stuff, as you get it on fingers and on it self when you cant dye in one long stroke.

importing from outside EU, The equipment price is actually doubled before it is set up in my shop. Because of shipping and tax and handling. I found a german site selling a skivingmachine (can these machines skive bridle leather ?) and a strap cutting machine taking up to 10 oz leather in thickness.

Maybe this can help...

http://www.cowboysew.com/International.htm

On 07/04/2017 at 0:57 AM, Christine said:
Hello everybody,
I do a lot of horsetack and belts, live in europe. I started my own business 6 years ago.
I do some strapwork, 100-150 straps a week, and I hate it. I do it all with handtools, one at a time.
What would your dream setup be with machinery to this job ? It is belts, reins and strapwork for bridles. I am really considering how to do it faster and easier, but don't want to spend money on something not worth it.
Have a great day !

Regards Christine

Hi Christine, How much is your buget? If you are doing that much by hand I need you over here.:notworthy: Being in Europe I would look at the OMAC line of products.http://www.omacsrl.com/

I have several of their machines and found them mostly good. Clicking press and strap cutting machine would be my first buys along with a double edge belt edger. If your budget is bigger they have some very automated machinery which is above my knowledge and I get a bit dubious of machines that supposedly get too automated. I bought a single edge machine that takes it from the operator and runs a edge around etc but I found it quicker and easier with the non automated edging machines.If you need any help on how to set up the dies for clicking out let me know. Here is a picture of one of my typical knives and jigs for holding strap in place for use with a clicker press. Regards Brian

DSC00809_resize.JPG

I do a bit more than that every week. Pop me an email at: andy@andysleather.com if you want to chat about machinery and such.

You guys are just great. Thank you so much.

I already have some helpers bought from Weaver, and am very pleased with them. Will be back when my baby sleeps :lol: