mojave

Cutting out Patterns

Hi, All,  

How do you cut out patterns?  Do you cut on the line, on the inside edge of the line, or on the outside edge of the line?  The reason I'm asking, is because sometimes my pattern parts don't match up.  Some were on this site I seen this discussed but can't find it again.  It had something to do with the width of the pattern line.

Thanks, Howard

I try to cut right on the line so that once cut it will not show the ink on the leather, but as I get older and hands hurt more and become a little more unstable it doesn't always work out that way.  If I do cut right on the line both pieces will line up.  I am sure more of the well seasoned folks can provide better info so we can get some popcorn sit back and read the comments as they roll in.

I tend to cut out the outside of the pattern line. It will be easier to sand and trim down while burnishing if necessary. I think the important part is mostly that you are consistent between pattern pieces.

I have the same problem. I watched a video on you tube. He was showing how to use a head knife. He traced his pattern and made it a point to mention how to cut it out. He said that he traces his out with a tracing awl and when he cuts it out he splits the line right down the middle. Makes sense, sounds easy enough, we all know about that LOL. I forgot what video it was, check out you tube. It showed him splitting the line down the middle, as always it looked very easy. He did mention look in front of the knife. I hope it helps you, I am still working on it.

Jim 

I have the same problem. I watched a video on you tube. He was showing how to use a head knife. He traced his pattern and made it a point to mention how to cut it out. He said that he traces his out with a tracing awl and when he cuts it out he splits the line right down the middle. Makes sense, sounds easy enough, we all know about that LOL. I forgot what video it was, check out you tube. It showed him splitting the line down the middle, as always it looked very easy. He did mention look in front of the knife. I hope it helps you, I am still working on it.

Jim 

What little I have used my head knife, it's been spot on and a pleasure to cut with.

Did I have to have it? Probably not. But I like it. You can sure zip around corners with it.