It has been about 6 weeks since I made anything so I thought this weekend I’d have a go at a couple of simple wallets. I was inspired by a post on here a few weeks ago to have a go at splattering the dye so these are my attempts at doing that. probably not to everyone's taste but I certainly enjoyed doing it.

One lesson I have learned from this is that it is surprising how far dye will travel when you get a bit carried away with splattering I ended up with it all over the place :)

yXmQvtG.jpg

bNtBOgT.jpg

iNdMJ6k.jpg

z0oUXxK.jpg

Zk90jnw.jpg

GSm1Cd1.jpg

Edited by stormcrow

Very different

I  like 'em

I would use a box next time hehe. What did you use to splatter it?

Thanks for the comments,

I used a pipette initially from just a few inches above then I ended up with the leather on the floor and all 6ft 3in of me standing on a chair , I also used a paintbrush that I hit against my hand to get a finer spray.

Edited by stormcrow

Haha. Are you familiar with water marveling? They use broom straw bundles to splatter the ink. Kind of like your paint brush technique. I wonder if that would work with dye as well

I was at a show fair last summer and I saw something really cool, a leather worker was selling wallets and trays and the like and they had a marble pattern on them. I asked how it was done and she used the same method that people use to marble paper for book binding. The results were awesome

Oh, that explains everything! Actually, I always, since childhood, and that was a LONG TIME AGO...I wondered how they did that. My parents had a lot of books that had that treatment, and while I didn't at the time have any idea why anyone would do it, I was intrigued. I love all those wallets, and that's my next foray into leatherwork...I even bought some yellow thread this weekend!

@kiwican that's what I was saying! How cool we both thought of marbled paper and applying those techniques to leather. 

I've always wanted to marble paper but I don't have the space for yet another hobby haha. But I may have to try marbling leather one day. Do you know what the lady used for the color? Was it paint or dye?

she used paint, Michaels (pretty much our version of hobby lobby I guess) has paint that can be used for this purpose. I've also heard it marbling paint, do a google search and there are a few videos of people doing it

47 minutes ago, kiwican said:

she used paint, Michaels (pretty much our version of hobby lobby I guess) has paint that can be used for this purpose. I've also heard it marbling paint, do a google search and there are a few videos of people doing it

What a sad place you must live in....

We have Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Lol

And its cold in the winter too!

I dig the darker one but love the interior of the first one.  Cool stuff.

I love the red on the inside, very cool.

Vov I like that slpatter idea! Decent handmade:)

In my experience that distance splattered dye travels is proportional to how much you like the shirt you're wearing. I'll bet I'm not the only one here who has converted a favorite shirt to a work shirt.  

Seriously, I really like the look you obtained by combining the splattered cover with the elegant interior. Really nice work.

Marbling isn't all that hard, and can be done with leather.  It's pretty much about using something to make water gel, such as carrageenan, gum trag, and other ingredients.  You then float a dye or paint on top and make patterns with it, then lay paper, leather, or whatever media on top let it absorb the dye/paint and pull it off.   Check out this video by goodsjapan marbling leather.

Bill

I never knew there was such a product. I know paper marblers use carrageenan but the mix is a lot thinner. I understand it has to be thick to support the leather. I wonder if there is a way to use a looser mix that you can skim and reuse? 

4 hours ago, billybopp said:

Marbling isn't all that hard, and can be done with leather.  It's pretty much about using something to make water gel, such as carrageenan, gum trag, and other ingredients.  You then float a dye or paint on top and make patterns with it, then lay paper, leather, or whatever media on top let it absorb the dye/paint and pull it off.   Check out this video by goodsjapan marbling leather.

Bill

That video is very interesting I'll have to give that a go sometime 

Cool video.  But at $15.99 for the gel powder, there has to be a cheaper way.  Perhaps the carageenan is less.  I was watching other videos and came across Suminigashi.  That is something I would love to work out for leather.  The technique does not use thickened water though so it might be harder to work out.

After watching the video, I bet some diluted gelatin would work.

22 hours ago, kiwican said:

Sweet idea and really nice workmanship!

5 hours ago, Wulfing said:

Nice. Very tidy straight lines. 

How did you achieve that colour yellow? Was it dye or acrylic paint??

Thanks, the yellow is veg tan goat dyed with feibings pro oil dye (yellow)