Hi! New here!

I'm hoping someone might share some advice on replacing the paddle spring on my 29-4. I'm about to go nuts trying to figure this out! 

If I position the 
needle so that it is fully descended I can see screws that attach the thread check spring to the needle bar. However, these tiny screws are inconveniently halfway covered by the presser foot bar (where it surrounds and swivels around the needle bar) and I cannot reach them. Is there a secret to accessing these screws on the thread check spring? They are so obnoxiously almost accessible so I'm hoping there's an easy fix to this. If you do have to remove the whole needle bar does anyone have any tips? The pivot pin seems to be in their awfully tight and am afraid to really wale on it without some experienced advice. I've attached a photo, i know the quality is poor but home it gets the point across.

Thanks!
Kelsey

unnamed.jpg

In my unpleasant experience, you have to remove the needle bar to get to those screws. Further, once removed, set them down apart on the left and right so you can reinstall them into the same positions (they often get shaped to clear the inside of the housing).

I refurbished my 29-4 last year. While I did not replace that spring, I did disassemble the needlebar head and replaced some broken parts. I documented my adventure here. Perhaps it will help.

http://www.victoriansweatshop.com/post/singer-294-repair-and-preservation-8144122?highlight=29+4&trail=25

Thanks Wizcraft and ndnchf! Your input is very helpful! One last question...once the pivot pin and i reckon the needle clamp are removed will the needle bar simply slide out of the machine at the top?

Ndnchf- going to give the c clamp method a shot later this week. I'm much more comfortable with that than the hammer. Thanks for documenting!

40 minutes ago, Kronsy said:

One last question...once the pivot pin and i reckon the needle clamp are removed will the needle bar simply slide out of the machine at the top?

It will come out the top if you remove the needle clamp (on the bottom of the bar), and the take-up lever and its plunger, which is otherwise in the way on top.

How important is that paddle spring?  I don't think I have that on my machines and they sew fine? Does it make a difference I have been missing?

28 minutes ago, Yetibelle said:

How important is that paddle spring?  I don't think I have that on my machines and they sew fine? Does it make a difference I have been missing?

I've read many times that the spring serves to put tension on the thread as the needle ascends, which then prevents skipped stitches.  I'm hoping the broken spring is the culprit behind the skipped stitches issue on our 29-4...the machine is definitely skipping more stitches now that the spring has completely broken off...so fingers crossed! However, my friend's 29-4 also has a broken paddle spring yet infrequently skips stitches. 

That paddle shaped spring has a very important job. It is supposed to hold the top thread in place as the needle reaches bottom dead center and lifts briefly to form the loop for the hook to pick off. Without that spring, or with a deformed or weak spring, the take-up lever's top-mounted leaf spring can pull the thread back up through the needle bar, dissolving the loop before it can get picked off by the hook.

It almost seems that my take up lever is not lifting soon enough or hard enough to clear the top thread from the needle area. The needle will break the thread on it's next down stroke