Marcus Romero

Dixon and Blanchard Pricking Iron iterchangability

I need some advice. I'm kicking myself. A year or two ago I bought a Dixon 8spi pricking iron. 9 teeth. I don't have much free time, so I've practiced marking and stitching with it. Originally--being cheap-- I thought I could try the tilted heel punching technique to navigate corners. I should have bought the 2-tooth 8 dpi iron. With the demise of Dixon tools I feel stuck. My question can I purchase a Blanchard 8 spi 2tooth iron and expect to get on with life or are they not too interchangeable?

I don't know where in the world you are Marcus, but Abbey England and a UK eBay seller offer new manufactured Dixon style pricking irons in 1/2", 1" and 1-1/2" sizes. Rumour has it they are made by the same guys used to work at Dixon's. If you contact these sellers they may be able to have a 2-tooth iron made up for you, or it you take one of their 1/2" irons (around £20) to a grinder you could remove all but two teeth. I've never handled a Blanchard iron but I would expect the angle and length of the teeth not to match your Dixon iron.

Thanks Matt. I fear they wouldn't match as well. I think my best option is to find someone in need of an 8 spi Dixon iron and reinvest the proceeds on a set of Blanchards. If only I could find someone with a spare 2 dente 8 spi Dixon. Would be much less of a financial hit for me.