Finally did something I don't think I'll be laughed off the forum for if I share a pic.  I'm completely self taught, as a leatherworker, pattern designer/maker and Illustrator user (for reprintable patterns.)

2/3oz leather and Tandy dyes.  Intentional splotchiness for visual appeal, but the whole dye job would have been quicker, easier and very different in appearance if I had access to de-glazer.  (Live in California, where all the best things are banned.)

WIN_20170411_000756-min.JPG

I dig it, it looks really nice.

Nice.  Can you tell more about how it's put together, please?  How is the buckle fastened to it, how did you make the loops for the posts, etc.,?

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎03 at 1:45 PM, SouthernCross said:

Nice.  Can you tell more about how it's put together, please?  How is the buckle fastened to it, how did you make the loops for the posts, etc.,?

I am so sorry I didn't see this SouthernCross.  Did you still need answers to these questions?

21 minutes ago, SunLynx said:

I am so sorry I didn't see this SouthernCross.  Did you still need answers to these questions?

Yes, please. 

Thanks. 

PS, this is not to say that what I did was the best or only way, just the solution I've come up with learning on my own.  I would check with others, I probably made a bunch of mistakes.

SunLynx, I'm sure your .pdf will help a lot of folks.  There are lots of ways to do things.  This way works for you and is what is important.  I do wonder if relying solely on glue will work.  I tried it on a bracelet once and got separation over time.  I now stitch everything that is layered after gluing or using double-stick tape.

Thanks a bunch, SunLynx.  I'm going to try making one myself, as I have a very small wrist and am always searching for bands for my watches.

BTW, where do you get your buckles?

4 hours ago, Tugadude said:

SunLynx, I'm sure your .pdf will help a lot of folks.  There are lots of ways to do things.  This way works for you and is what is important.  I do wonder if relying solely on glue will work.  I tried it on a bracelet once and got separation over time.  I now stitch everything that is layered after gluing or using double-stick tape.

I admit that I was unsure about my gluing myself.  At this point I have been wearing the watch for nearly 3 months.  In that time I have seen a minor wrinkle where my buckle goes, but no actual separation on the tongue hole side of the strap.  On the buckle side the flap that wraps around the post has come undone twice.  I theorize that this is because of either my glue choice, or the fact that I am gluing an unfinished piece to a finished piece, and I don't have a rougher to get better adhesion.

For the record, my glue choice is a water based Tandy glue, which means that the tongue side has held up admirably, and the buckle side could just need that roughing to stop being a problem.  I do wonder how barge cement or something similar would change the parameters and durability.  I can only assume that it would work 10 times better than the water based glue.

The hilarious thing is that because I came from a fabric background I have only started using glues and adhesives recently.  Prior to that, I would stitch a strap down both sides, but would not use glue at all.  My previous watchband, while losing a stitch here or there, is still perfectly useable, despite being 3 or 4 years old.

3 hours ago, SouthernCross said:

Thanks a bunch, SunLynx.  I'm going to try making one myself, as I have a very small wrist and am always searching for bands for my watches.

BTW, where do you get your buckles?

The buckle I am using here was one I got from Tandy.  For whatever reason they are discontinuing them (I hope they replace them with a different manufacturer that gives more size options, personally).  They have 2 or 3 sizes to choose from, and I will likely pick up a whole bunch, seems how they are ditching them.

Otherwise, there are several places that carry watchband buckles, including www.leathercraftpattern.com and www.allwatchparts.com.  Everything will be metric though, because that's how watch straps are usually done.  (Even my templates are metric, and I usually use standard.)

I hope this helps.

Good stuff! 

Sandpaper works for roughing up the grain side before gluing.  Also, use a contact cement.  Water based or solvent based.

Tom