Kaje

New Outlaw hand crank Boss clone

is that why the tippman boss they came out with rubber top and bottom stops as opposed to metal bolts for it to stop against?

@CowboyBob, is this for sale yet?

Supposed to be some coming in June.

last I heard was march... guess all the bugs aren't knocked out of it yet

Thanks @CowboyBob

@bikermutt07Your Welcome, do you want to be the first guy in LA that bought one?

And the reason this is not a motorized machine is... JK. Next you know, someone will come up with a V-groved handwheel for running off a servo :) Uwe?

Its not motorised cos its meant to be a portable low cost hand crank machine.   If you want a motorised machine you might as well buy a CB3500 or CB4500, then you get compound feed, reverse and all the feet and plates.  The Outlaw is going to be a great machine to take on the road and don on the spot repairs or for those with very limited bench space.

We have been told at Cowboy Leather Machines in Australia that we can order it next month, its going thru rigorous testing now.

6 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

@bikermutt07Your Welcome, do you want to be the first guy in LA that bought one?

I would like to be, but alas, I am far from the first guy in Louisiana to be able to afford one.

Speaking of which, do we have a proposed MSRP yet?

Edited by bikermutt07

Was looking for info on the machine, stumbled across this thread and decided to contact Cowboy about it. Got a response from Ryan Neel. He said the machines should be in around June 20th and price is $1295.00. Been using a Tippmann Boss stitcher I'm borrowing from a friend. Need my own stitcher soon and will probably get the Outlaw, if it's as good as they say.

honestly, after buying my Boss, I realize my next machine will be a cowboy 4500 for the increased throat area...I noticed making the larger messenger bags turning it around while stitching is a little tight.  but first I need to sell some leather goods lol

On 2017/4/15 at 1:19 AM, Kaje said:

Just saw this video posted on the clone of the tippmann boss, looks pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abyd-qdmOlk

Now the OUTLAW hand operated leather sewing machine is ready for sale, here is the video 

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:37 PM, Deryk said:

honestly, after buying my Boss, I realize my next machine will be a cowboy 4500 for the increased throat area...I noticed making the larger messenger bags turning it around while stitching is a little tight.  but first I need to sell some leather goods lol

The Boss and Outlaw are a very different machine to the Cowboy CB4500 or even the hand crank CB3200.   With the price here in Australia of $1950 and $2600 for the Outlaw and CB3200 HC.... if you have a permanent workshop facility I'd go for the CB3200 for the bit extra..... however if space is cramped or you want a portable machine for shows and markets then the Outlaw comes into its own.   Clearly though the CB4500 is the ultimate machine for the bigger in situ jobs.

Well at this time in my life 1 hand cranker is enough... next machine will be for faster production when the work is starting to really come in.  I would keep the boss because I can travel with it up to my cabin, I just wouldn't take a large job project that weekend...but when I get an idea and want to try some new ideas there is a certain pleasure to the cranking and seeing your project moving along, one pull at a time... but if the work is piling up, screw zen and GID!  lol

33 minutes ago, Deryk said:

Well at this time in my life 1 hand cranker is enough... next machine will be for faster production when the work is starting to really come in.  I would keep the boss because I can travel with it up to my cabin, I just wouldn't take a large job project that weekend...but when I get an idea and want to try some new ideas there is a certain pleasure to the cranking and seeing your project moving along, one pull at a time... but if the work is piling up, screw zen and GID!  lol

Yes agree with you, trust you enjoy your time and work.

There is also no problem with having the CB2500 or CB3200 set up as electric on a table and have them drilled and tapped to take the rotating handle if you need to take the machine on the road.

With Hand crank machines (and patchers) the best bobbin winder is a battery drill and a screw that fits nicely through the bobbin with a rubber washer to lock it in place. Roofing screws are good for this

16 minutes ago, Darren Brosowski said:

There is also no problem with having the CB2500 or CB3200 set up as electric on a table and have them drilled and tapped to take the rotating handle if you need to take the machine on the road.

With Hand crank machines (and patchers) the best bobbin winder is a battery drill and a screw that fits nicely through the bobbin with a rubber washer to lock it in place. Roofing screws are good for this

Darren, we are design a hand crank bobbin winder for OUTLAW hand stitcher leather sewing machine. 

1 hour ago, CowBoyOUTLAW said:

Darren, we are design a hand crank bobbin winder for OUTLAW hand stitcher leather sewing machine. 

That will have other applications too

So has anyone in the US taken possession of, and using an Outlaw to regularly make salable items? If so a critique as to quality of the results and the mechanical workings as compared to a Tippman would be a helpful addition to the forum. I had an older Cowboy motorized unit that I just never used that much so I sold it and am wondering about the hand crank units. Truthfully I never did get the motorized one fine tuned enough to get comfortable using it. It was always to fast for me even at the slowest I got it to run.

Hi Jordan, I'm in Australia so not quite what you requested and am also a sewing machine dealer, we have a few of these Outlaw here in stock and one set up as a demo machine, its had a few goings over by locals and works really quite well, no obvious faults at all.  My only comment is that I'm used to very smooth running machines and find that the back and forth motion is a bit clunky to what I'm used to, however if I was going to shows and doing on the spot repairs I'd be happy to take it with me.

For many uses which presumably are of quite short duration and the requirement for portability, would not a machine driven by say 120 amp hour leisure batteries be a good solution, 

How many hours are leather workers sewing machines, actually run each day and also after the initial burst of power to get started the continue stitching takes little energy

6 hours ago, Jordan said:

So has anyone in the US taken possession of, and using an Outlaw to regularly make salable items? If so a critique as to quality of the results and the mechanical workings as compared to a Tippman would be a helpful addition to the forum. I had an older Cowboy motorized unit that I just never used that much so I sold it and am wondering about the hand crank units. Truthfully I never did get the motorized one fine tuned enough to get comfortable using it. It was always to fast for me even at the slowest I got it to run.

you can slow down any motorized sewing machine with one or another type of pulley speed reducers. How slow the machine will be depends on the pulley ratio you choose and the size of the motor pulley. Dialing down just the servo motor speed or just adding a smaller pulley is not always very satisfying. The combination of small motor pulley and ratio of the speed reducer pulleys is the key to a very slow and powerful motorized sewing machine. I have speed reducers on all my sewing machines - even the tape binder machine. IMHO servo motor + Speed reducer is the best combination for running a leather sewing machine - especially heavy ones.

It for sure depends on what an individual prefers / on individual situation but I personally never ever would use a hand crank machine or treadle machine (tried it and hated it) when I have electric power.

IMO - When you live in an area with proper infrastructure nothing beats the comfort of a motorized sewing machine. If you suffer on permanent blackouts (I don´t recall when we had the last BO - must have been years ago and was just for a few minutes) or you travel to shows with unknown infrastructure or do small repairs (as Singermania said) then a hand cracker could be useful.

Don´t know what type of presser feet are available for the hand crankers but the availability of different presser feet and needle plates or other accessories for the 441 clone machines also would rule out the hand cranker (for me).

A hand cracker is still a sewing machine and has nothing to do with "hand sewn" - JFTC "hand sewn" items is what you want to promote / sell.

My 2 cents ;)

EDIT:

regarding bobbin winder for hand crackers - I made an electric winder for my 45K - works for larger barrel type bobbins too.

Edited by Constabulary

The big advantage (for me) in using an electric machine is I can use two hands to hold/manipulate the material. Not having three hands (!) I've found using a machine manually has limitations.

And Constabulary is right, a servo is great, a servo with a small pulley is greater and a servo with a small pulley and a speed reducer is the greatest! (Or a servo, small pulley and large handwheel).

If a Tippman/Outlaw came along at a bargain price I'd have it, but if I have to pay full price I'd rather put more money in and buy a CB3200/4500, far more useful in my opinion.