jakc3

Fortuna skiver - sharpening

Hey guys,

I've got a question regarding skiving machine sharpening. Usually this part didn't cause trouble until now. I simply can't get it sharp and the blade leaves these ridges which then also show on the surface if you bend the leather.

How I'm sharpening:

- First I move the blade into the required position (almost next to the foot)

- After that I paint the bevel with a marker

- Then I move the grinding wheel into position and grind until the bevel is nice and to the edge (the grinding wheel is almost new, so is the knife which I replaced not so long ago)

Am I missing a step? This usually worked but for some reason it doesn't today.

I did notice however that when i painted the bevel, if I sharpened it ''gently'' there were 3 depressions in the blade remained painted. Due to this I sharpened a bit harder and I think they flattened out. 

Here's a picture of leather I skived:

58f1e45cd414e_IMG_20170415_105524(1).jpg.8235aea71112aa02577505765079edd0.jpg

Have you used an oil stone to deburr the inside of the blade edge?

I was unable to source this tool in my country so I improvise with fine sandpaper glued to a stick.

I'll try to import it from somewhere and try it. It is weird because usually there were no issues with this even when I had to completely re grind the bevel.

Besides that first question I have another. When I skive for example a fold over edge for a card slot the leather stretches and skews. What could be the reason for this? Perhaps transport wheel tension?

You always have to grind both side of any knife. I use a round long grind stone for deburring the inside of the bell knife and finishing of by grinding both sides simultaneously- stop at the ecaxtly same time. This way you will not create burrˋs on any side of the bell knife. Campbell Randalll USA and Fortuna Werke service (on facebook) both sells that de-burring tool.

Tor 

It also seems like you have to clean up your sharpening wheel whit the dressing tool. Same tool that is used to square up any bench grinding stones, it normally a part of the skiving machines tool box. Sparks will fly and you will shape up your sharpening wheel angain. Campbell Randall  (above) have both the tools you need.

CampbelRandall, I need to buy a proper deburring tool myself. My round stone has worked well but it's a bit risky because it can break off. Do you have it in stock. Tor