Celos

Hardcase for a Hansen minispinner...

Hi everyone,

I want to make a hard case for my Hansen mini spinner but have no idea how to make a pattern for it. I'm new to leather working so if anyone can point me in the right direction it's much appreciated.

http://hansencrafts.com/maple-minispinner-v2

Edited by Celos

If it were me,  I'd start with these books.  They are fantastic, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Making-Leather-Cases-Vol/dp/1892214938

These books are a great start and there are 3 in the series but instead of getting them from Amazon you can get them from Tandy's Leathercraft Library (accessible from the main Tandy Leather page) as a downloadable file for much less.  Besides, buying them from the Leathercraft Library allows you the legal right to use anything within the contents whereas buying from an unknown source (didn't see anything on the Amazon listing that indicated Tandy was the source) doesn't; it is called licensing and it is a big deal in today's global marketplace.

Thanks guys. Now I have my bedtime reading covered. :-)

The doctor bag will be too large I think. I just want something where the spinner can fit snugly. But maybe a modified verity.

Yes, of coarse, sized to fit.   And/or I misunderstood, I thought the item shown in the picture was about 5-6" wide maybe 8-10" long and about 5" tall.  When I was referring to dr. Bag, most of the ones I have seen in the movies have a rigid opening.  Looks like maybe the top is reinforced with wire to hold shape and the sides pretty stiff with the stuff on top a little more supple

i went and grabbed a picture off the Internet that kinda looks like what I was thinking. I have not read the above mentioned books but I would think between there and the internet you should be able to find a pattern that you could modify for your needs. 

IMG_1473.PNG

On 4/16/2017 at 8:43 AM, NVLeatherWorx said:

These books are a great start and there are 3 in the series but instead of getting them from Amazon you can get them from Tandy's Leathercraft Library (accessible from the main Tandy Leather page) as a downloadable file for much less.  Besides, buying them from the Leathercraft Library allows you the legal right to use anything within the contents whereas buying from an unknown source (didn't see anything on the Amazon listing that indicated Tandy was the source) doesn't; it is called licensing and it is a big deal in today's global marketplace.

This is kind of odd,  if you'll forgive me. The printed and bound copies of these Stohlman books are already copyrighted by Tandy,  even the ones available on Amazon.  So "legality" isn't an issue. Unless you think someone is bootlegging the books.  Which I seriously doubt. 

As for down loading a file, personally,  I really like having the books themselves. You can lay them open on the bench, enjoy the great illustrations and even read them while sitting or laying around,  like any book. I like paper books though. Just doesn't seem the same viewing them on a computer screen. 2 cents. 

10 hours ago, slipangle said:

This is kind of odd,  if you'll forgive me. The printed and bound copies of these Stohlman books are already copyrighted by Tandy,  even the ones available on Amazon.  So "legality" isn't an issue. Unless you think someone is bootlegging the books.  Which I seriously doubt. 

As for down loading a file, personally,  I really like having the books themselves. You can lay them open on the bench, enjoy the great illustrations and even read them while sitting or laying around,  like any book. I like paper books though. Just doesn't seem the same viewing them on a computer screen. 2 cents. 

However, if these books are not being sold through Amazon by Tandy then they are technically in violation of the copyright agreements that you as the purchaser have entitlement to.  You can buy the book, make anything you want out of it for sale, but you DO NOT have the right to transfer any portion of the contents to anyone else.  I have it in writing from Tandy themselves and I know of people who run afoul of that very limitation.  If the listings on Amazon do not reflect that Tandy is the sources/seller of these books then they are wrong for listing them.  Not much room for interpretation there.

Huh?  Are you saying that only Tandy can sell these books?  How about re-sellers who purchase them from Tandy wholesale,  then re-sell them.You know,  like every book store buys books from the publisher to re-sell. 

The Amazon listing does say that Tandy is the publisher.  

• Paperback: 132 pages
  • Publisher: Tandy Leather Co. (January 1, 1983)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1892214938
  • ISBN-13: 978-1892214935

Anyway,  there may be something here I'm unaware of.  And probably uninterested in. 

Edited by slipangle