Sign in to follow this  
Modfurnmkr

Glueing leather to wood

I'm a Furniture Maker looking to glue faux Shagreen leather to a substrate.  I routinely use Water-based Contact Cement (3M or Formica brand) when gluing Plastic Laminate (ie. Formica) or Paperback Veneer to Melamine -with a sanded surface.

The answers I've seen to "How to glue leather to wood" mentions using a Solvent-based Contact Cement (Masters- as an example). My question:  Solvent-based VS. Water-based Contact Cement- which is best to glue leather to Melamine with a sanded surface.

Thank you

I would prefer solvent based glue for laminate

For leather on natural wood I've used regular PVA [water based] and Evostik Contact [solvent based] glues

I've found that the Evostick Contact, whilst giving a superior bond, can leech through thin veg tan leather, but no problem with chrome tanned

We use to use wood glue (T.B.) on tempered Masonite for leather desk pads. As soon as you smooth out the leather you had to work to get it off to reposition.  On melamine I would probably use solvent based only because I think it will '' soften " the surface just enough to really bond to a slippery surface.