MbM9GhC.jpg

bdbBINL.jpg

V5YX3xS.jpg

TUIzRmQ.jpg

Pen Pouch

wGFBqg9.jpg

81CIQ3V.jpg

TdvMXAH.jpg

One thing I want to improve on is the quality of my edge finish. Right now I'm using Gum Tragacanth with a homemade slicking bit I made for my dremel tool. The issue with this is that I use a laser cutter to cut my items out, and this leaves a charred edge, which is difficult to remove. When I bevel the exposed edges, I get the contrast between the fresh leather of the bevel and the charred face from the laser cutter.

To overcome this, I need to either find a good way to clean the charred edges or start to die/paint the edges to get a uniform finish. If anyone has any ideas on cleaning the charred edges, it would be greatly appreciated. 

General feedback on my designs or workmanship is also welcome and appreciated, as I'm here to learn.

Nice work. Check out Hidepounder's edge finishing tutorial.

You could also paint your edges. Either way spend some time doing some fine sanding.

Mmmmmmmm Lasers.

Laaaazers....and machine stitches.....use 300 grit on the edges, saddle soap, water let dry till almost back to normal then burnish then dye black! your work looks impeccable by the way.

16 hours ago, thefanninator said:

Nice work. Check out Hidepounder's edge finishing tutorial.

You could also paint your edges. Either way spend some time doing some fine sanding.

Thanks, I'll take a look through that thread. 

14 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Mmmmmmmm Lasers.

It is such a satisfying tool to use. The fact that you can cut through material with highly focused light never looses its magic.

12 hours ago, Sanch said:

Laaaazers....and machine stitches.....use 300 grit on the edges, saddle soap, water let dry till almost back to normal then burnish then dye black! your work looks impeccable by the way.

Lasers and hand stitching. The laser makes perfectly straight and evenly spaced holes for stitching, so the results tend to come out well.

Do you use the water and saddle soap on the edges while sanding? I've been sanding the edges, but doing it dry.

38 minutes ago, andrewsejlv said:

Thanks, I'll take a look through that thread. 

It is such a satisfying tool to use. The fact that you can cut through material with highly focused light never looses its magic.

Lasers and hand stitching. The laser makes perfectly straight and evenly spaced holes for stitching, so the results tend to come out well.

Do you use the water and saddle soap on the edges while sanding? I've been sanding the edges, but doing it dry.

dry sand water andsaddle soap after.

3 hours ago, andrewsejlv said:

I like magic. Please share more info on your laser setup :)

star-wars-stylo-plume-sabre-laser-vendu-500_cover.jpg

dry sand water andsaddle soap after.

Thanks for the info. I just put some saddle soap in my amazon cart, looking forward to giving it a shot.

50 minutes ago, JMudRockFlats said:

I like magic. Please share more info on your laser setup :)

star-wars-stylo-plume-sabre-laser-vendu-500_cover.jpg

Right now I'm using the laser cutters at the local makerspace (TechShop), a Trotec Speedy 300 and a Universal Laser Systems V4.6. I can post up information about the machines and workflow if it's of interest (I'll start a new thread if it is). I'll be heading over there thursday/friday to cut another batch of new product designs.

That said, I'm working on building my own laser cutter right now. 60W Recci tube (water cooled), 600mmx900mm working area, smart exhaust system, and hopefully under $2400 if all comes together well.

I've been keeping detailed documentation of the build, and would be happy to post up about the build and my general laser workflow once it is finished.

Edited by andrewsejlv

I have been using natural antique paste from fiebings instead of the saddle soap on stuff that is non veg, at the advice of bikermutt07.  I have had good results.  Not quite as good as veg tann but better than what I was getting with saddle soap. 

To think you are handstitching that is crazy, laser holes or not. Your work is incredibly clean man. Beautiful stuff.

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

To think you are handstitching that is crazy, laser holes or not. Your work is incredibly clean man. Beautiful stuff.

Thanks!

On 4/18/2017 at 10:28 AM, andrewsejlv said:

Thanks for the info. I just put some saddle soap in my amazon cart, looking forward to giving it a shot.

Right now I'm using the laser cutters at the local makerspace (TechShop), a Trotec Speedy 300 and a Universal Laser Systems V4.6. I can post up information about the machines and workflow if it's of interest (I'll start a new thread if it is). I'll be heading over there thursday/friday to cut another batch of new product designs.

That said, I'm working on building my own laser cutter right now. 60W Recci tube (water cooled), 600mmx900mm working area, smart exhaust system, and hopefully under $2400 if all comes together well.

I've been keeping detailed documentation of the build, and would be happy to post up about the build and my general laser workflow once it is finished.

I'm interested in your laser setup! REALLY nice work too by the way.

On 4/21/2017 at 4:41 PM, AndyL1 said:

I'm interested in your laser setup! REALLY nice work too by the way.

I'll post a new thread about it next time I go to cut some stuff, and take a few pictures of the workflow.

Here is a few shots of a custom business card holder I made for the owner of a local business. He really like the graving of the logo, as did I (I think I got the settings for the engraving nailed this time:

ilGuUNF.jpg

7U2BmgD.jpg

N6bnPI7.jpg

oiA8vqe.jpg

VE2pxMY.jpg

I've still got alot to learn about product photography, so please excuse the wildly inconsistent backgrounds. I don't have proper reflecting boards or a good tripod yet, so getting the right setup and lighting has been a struggle.

Edited by andrewsejlv

On 18/04/2017 at 3:14 AM, andrewsejlv said:

To overcome this, I need to either find a good way to clean the charred edges or start to die/paint the edges to get a uniform finish. If anyone has any ideas on cleaning the charred edges, it would be greatly appreciated. 

I have not had to deal with charred edges from a laser before. trying to sand clean inside those little thumb holes and such would be hard and time consuming I think. I would try using an edge coat thinned 10% first and see if the edge can be become stable enough to hold. In the video of this link you can see me applying edge coat to belts and I can assure you I have seen some of these belts many years after being made with the edging in good condition.

Made a new version of the Flat Card Wallet, with 2 additional outer card pockets (4 total). Made at the request of a friend, so we'll see how he likes it.

7YbKYwt.jpg

Making this wallet gave me the chance to photo some fresh material against the wallet I've been carrying everyday. The wallet has taken on a pretty awesome patina in only about a month and a half of use. Really looking forward to seeing how customers' items age with use!

ePgD3mA.jpg

I really like your style and the quality looks perfect!

15 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I really like your style and the quality looks perfect!

Thanks! 

Here is a video of the laser in action (if I can get the link to work):

Edited by andrewsejlv

Well, that would sure make it easier! Wish I could justify it.

You ain't the only one @alpha2! All the laser cut stuff looks so clean, not to mention the marking. It isn't a replacement for all the hand tooling but for something like cuts, holes, and a maker's mark, it is killer.

I bet it smells like hell.

22 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Well, that would sure make it easier! Wish I could justify it.

It definitely does make things easier. And yeah, it's a pricey piece of equipment, that's why I currently use one at my local makerspace. I'm justifying building my own because I have a number of hobbies that I use the laser cutter for, so it's a little easier to stomach the cost...

12 hours ago, battlemunky said:

You ain't the only one @alpha2! All the laser cut stuff looks so clean, not to mention the marking. It isn't a replacement for all the hand tooling but for something like cuts, holes, and a maker's mark, it is killer.

I bet it smells like hell.

The smell can be less that pleasant at times. Especially when doing a lot of engraving. But with the exhaust system turned up it's not too bad.

Red/white/blue card wallet, being given as part of a set that will be auctioned off at a local VFW Memorial Day event:

XC7sQdd.jpg

Nice!

I've got that same prop you're using sitting in my gun safe!

Made a card wallet with some new leather (Horween Candy Red Essex) and thread. I wasn't sure how I would like the combo of the yellow/gold thread on the red, but I think it came out great. I also tried using a sharpened pencil for the edge paint, and it worked like a charm! 

Right now I'm using edge kote black, but would love to try out some different colors. Anyone have any suggestions on a place I could source a number of edge paints in small volumes to try out?

20248281_10156531990554129_364486837213633600_o.thumb.jpg.07c0b171701215a986cc40e4a9ad2176.jpg

I think the color combo works! I'm a fan of yellow on darker colors.