QueenMommy

Question on process

Hey y'all!  I am brand new here; got into leather work about 2 weeks ago!  

Quick intro - I am creating/designing a leather cuff that can hold a drivers license/credit or debit card/a few dollars.  This concept was born out of me losing my drivers license somewhere between TSA and the gate at the airport flying back home with three children under the age of 5.  Necessity is the mother of invention? :P

Anyways, I have gone to Tandy Leather twice to purchase supplies, but have not been able to take any classes yet (did I mention three children under the age of 5?).  

My question is this - what is the process of completing a project?  Is there a "right" sequence of steps?

What I do now is:  measure and cut my leather (veg-tanned), punch the holes for the snaps, set the snaps, oil w/ neatsfoot, let rest for several hours or overnight if I'm not too hasty, edge bevel, slick, dye, wipe off excess dye, resolene and buff.  I will be learning this week how to saddle stitch the ID pocket; my one prototype has a plastic sleeve, which will not work long-term.  I assume that I will perform the saddle stitching before applying the resolene?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!  

photos will be uploaded under comments

IMG_1127.JPG

Edited by QueenMommy
Upload photo

Might want to set snaps last, unless you like wiping dye off of them. That looks pretty good as is though.

3 minutes ago, cradom said:

Might want to set snaps last, unless you like wiping dye off of them. That looks pretty good as is though.

Sounds great!  I think setting the snaps last will also make the edge beveling/slicking easier.

Nice idea!  Personally I would do two steps differently.  I would dye first and then apply the Neatsfoot oil to help set the dye pigments in the leather better and to replace some of the oils that dyeing seems to break down.  Dyeing seems to dry out the leather so in my mind oiling afterwards helps restore the leather.  Second, I would do hand stitching before finishing the edges, but that's just me. 

Good luck, you'll have to post your hand stitched version.

Bob