whitehair

Belt Tip with no hole

Hi Everyone, 

I've just purchased a vintage belt set. The tip has no hole for securing it. It's turquoise inlaid so I'm reluctant to go at it with tools to make a hole. I don't want to glue the tip only to lose it if the glue doesn't hold.

Anyone have an suggestions of how I can fix the tip?  

Thanks!

belttip.jpg

belttip2.jpg

No expert but. If you rough the leather tip well to give it a tooth and get good 360 degree coverage on belt and inside the tip with Barge or the like contact cement I don't think it will come off. Have to work fast when putting it on though. That's the only thing I can think of other than putting holes in it and then What? Can't really rivet or sew. Shrug. Kinda stumped myself. Ta. Matt.

I would cut a small tapered channel across the bottom of the belt, . . . and be very careful but very firm, . . . bending the bottom of the tip up into that groove kind of like the little drawing I've enclosed here.

I would first put several coats of trag on the tip of the leather though, . . . to harden it up.  Then the very last thing to do is put on the metal tip, . . . gently peen down the edge, . . . it should hold till the cows come home.

May God bless,

Dwight

belt tip.jpg

I've had a few old belts from my great grandad and grandad with no though and through pin in the tip. They had a single punch done on the bottom side with a center point punch. It was struck near the back edge of the tip. The divot bites into the bottom side of the leather and holds well. When I made a belt for my uncle several years ago I reused one of those Ranger sets. Basically pulled the tip off the old belt, flattened the flare with a pliers, Put it on the new belt and repunched the divot again. Still there. 

On this one with the turquoise chips I would set it so the turquoise is over the edge of the anvil before I struck it, 

Thank you all so much, that's really helpful. 

If you have a drill press and tap and die set you can drill and tap a hole in the back side and use a small set screw with a pointed tip to hold the tip in place.  Will need a very fine tap and die set.

If you look inside the tip, do you see any groves perpendicular to the belt? Or any dimples?

I have secured many, many belt tips like yours with epoxy.  I use JB Weld brand, the 5 minute variety.  Never had one come off, but I have taken a few off and it was difficult.  I don't think just losing the tip would be a factor to be concerned about.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker