QueenMommy

I think I did it!...?

I think I finally got the hang of the saddle stitch! Please critique and let me know what I need to improve on. 

The top line was my first attempt - please ignore!! I know it's dreadful.

the second line was where I think I got the hang of it. I did not use a stitch groover- should arrive tomorrow. I know my line is not perfectly straight; I was less worried about that vs just getting this two-handed stitch thing down. 

and yes, my stitching pony solution at the moment is my husband's blacksmithing vise! ;) 

IMG_1139.JPG

Edited by QueenMommy
Photo upload

Just now, soccerdad said:

I'm not seeing a photo ... maybe I'm doing it wrong??

I'm having issues uploading the photos..... :(

Now I see it. Thanks. Congrats on your stitches!

Just a thought ... would help (me, at least) to see a straight line in better light. Also, if you've not shown the front of the stitch, that'd be helpful, as well. 

When starting out, I found it useful to put an identical line on front and back to practice angling the awl accurately on the axis that goes through the leather. 

Can't tell from the image ... just make sure you are completing the stitch the same way every time, and it will look consistent. 

Way to go!

Oh, now I'm seeing the shot of the front. Yes, the second line is looking more consistent. Keep going. I love seeing another saddle stitches come into the world!

Cheers

looks good and will get better as you practice. Far as the stitch grover, it's more important to have something to get the line straight then it is to grove out the leather.Depending on your style, you may or may not use it after you get it. I started out using it and now, I never touch it.

Are you using an over stitch wheel, pricking irons or stitching irons to mark your spaces?

13 minutes ago, Halitech said:

Are you using an over stitch wheel, pricking irons or stitching irons to mark your spaces?

Pricking iron. 

Thanks so much!! :) 

use a ruler and an awl to make a straight line, then punch with your irons and finish making the holes with your awl. If you are using pricking irons, they aren't designed to go all the way through (just in case you weren't aware :) )