eatbeef88

Finishing or Waterproofing Latigo

I am just finishing a belt I made from latigo leather and am wondering if anyone has any experience or advice for finishing/waterproofing it so it doesn't bleed?  Thanks in advance!

if not mistaken, latigo is a leather type, that already have it all.

If it's actually latigo, it will probably have a greasy feel to it, like bacon.  It is quite difficult to waterproof and keep the colors from bleeding because of all the oils they contain.

You can try Resolene, diluted 50:50 with water, and apply per the instructions, and then follow that up with a wax-based layer (such as clear shoe polish).  This isn't a guaranteed solution, but would be a good start.

If it's actually latigo, it will probably have a greasy feel to it, like bacon.  It is quite difficult to waterproof and keep the colors from bleeding because of all the oils they contain.

You can try Resolene, diluted 50:50 with water, and apply per the instructions, and then follow that up with a wax-based layer (such as clear shoe polish).  This isn't a guaranteed solution, but would be a good start.

I'll give that a try. Thank you!

drum dyed latigo has color all the way through from the tannery, also its embedded with waxes and oils making it just about waterproof as is. Amish use it for buggy reins. I love the stuff.

Ive been airbrushing mop n glo thinned 50/50 with water. It does not water proof the latigo, but it does a good job preventing the bleeding.