rktaylor

First Sewing Machine

I am getting really close to taking the plunge and purchasing a sewing machine. Thus I am looking for some advice on features. I don't want to start a debate on pros/cons of manufacturers, I just want to know the right questions to ask.

I am making saddles (working on the 5th) and tack mostly, but may use it for other items that I didn't want to make because I have been hand sewing everything. I am guessing that the thickest item I plan to sew is saddle skirts. It seems to me that 1/2" of clearance is not enough, but I just don't know. What about arm length/diameter? Needle and thread size is something I have not studied. Are there any upgrades or extras that I should consider?

Any advice is appreciated.

Randy

First let me say I am very impressed that you have hand-stitched 5 saddles.  That is a lot of work, WOW.  The thread that you hand sew with is really thick and I suspect and maybe waxed?  In the machine world that would be close to thread size 346 or 415. 

I would say the machine you want is the Cowboy CB-4500.  You can see the adds in the banners section for them. 

Here is one making a Saddle. 

Randy, I know what a big decision buying your first machine is!  I would not even consider anything with less than 3/4" lift for what you want to do.  You will max out a machine with 1/2" pretty easily, and end up modifying (taking shortcuts) to reduce thickness of things you need to sew.  As far as machines, there are lots of good choices.  There is certainly something to be said for buying a new one for a reputable dealer, and the new "clones" are pretty user friendly. Having said that, they will never sew as tight a stitch as the old time harness/saddle stitchers (that is including the rebuilt Campbell machines.)  I know I will get some arguments from that statement, but the new closed eye needle machines do not have a true thread lock on them to pull a super tight stitch.  I do have a Cowboy 4500, and love a lot of things about it, but no machine has everything!  If you do buy new, go with the 16" arm, you will not regret it for saddle and tack work. That may be the biggest improvement over the old machines.  I have an edge guide for the 4500, but have hardly ever used it.  In fact about the only time I ever use an edge guide is sewing harness tugs or rounds, and I don't do either of those on that machine.  You will want to use a 346 thread on most saddle skirts, and all the heavy machines handle it just fine.  Needle size is pretty important relative to thread size.  My 4500 allows for very little "cheating".  Meaning that very rarely can I drop a needle size while using a heavier thread than is intended for that needle.  My reason for doing that would be to leave a smaller hole, with the thread filling the holes better.  Closed eye needle machines typically leave a bigger, less attractive hole than hook and awl stitchers.  But I would advise venturing into the used market for hook and awl stitchers only for the very mechanically inclined individuals:-)  Good luck to you, there are more choices out there than ever before, at least since anyone alive today can remember.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Yetibelle and Big Sioux,

Thanks for the comments. That's the type of information I am needing.

Randy

The Cowboy CB-4500 is just one of several available machines that are copies/clones of the original Juki TSC-441, which is still in production. The clone machines are nearly identical and the whole group is generally referred to as "441 Class" machines. "Cobra Class 4" and the "Techsew 5100"  are among the other options you can choose from. The various vendors use very different names and paint colors for the machines they sell, but they all are essentially identical, well regarded machines with different stands and accessory packages.

Edited by Uwe

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. The Cowboy 4500 and Cobra 4 both have optional accessories. Any thoughts on these? They seem reasonably priced for everything that's included, but I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that I don't need. 

Thanks,

Randy

Talk to the dealers.

Bob at Toledo sells the CB4500 every day of the week to saddlers and between him and Ryan Neele at head office you are not going to find a better team to back you up.

The other dealers here also have good reputations but for breadth of product Cowboy pretty much have it nailed

You didn't ask about needle and awl vs single needle. BSS alluded to it but didn't go into depth. If I were you (which I am not being old and wore out instead of young and still finding a groove) I would put the following at the top of my list but I would not wait forever if my needs were more urgent): A #3 Landis still on a treadle stand that has never been motorized. Your budget may be the driving force and the amount of time you have to learn may lead you to one of the 441 clone dealers. You can outdo your hand stitching with any properly adjusted stitcher. If you go with a 441 clone, pick a dealer, not just a seller. This will be the exception to the rules about $$. A few extra for service and coaching will be well spent if they turn out to be needed. Good luck to you and remember that no matter what machine you pick you will still need to handsew (or hand finish) some parts.

Buena suerte