Hi,

I'm pretty new to leatherworking and have loads to learn, but I'm loving the journey & learning something new every time I come to this site.

Whilst I know there are issues with it I thought I'd share my first major project as I'm rather happy with it as a prototype model and I'm already gathering the stuff for the next one.

Gladstone1.png.ae4911d71023c12b876919e624ac8035.png

WOW!!!! for a first major project I don't know what to expect when you become an old hand at it:rockon:

Seems that you collected a lot of experience and knowledge making small items!

Marvelous!

Great job

Very Nice! Looks like you put a lot of time into it.

That looks awesome.   I'd love to see more pictures. Great job! 

Very cool indeed!  Yes, more pictures please.  Very interesting closure.  Would like more info on that.

Uhm....I have missed a lot of signals and nuances along the way. I've been tinkering with leather for 3 years now and my best looks like the dog chewed it up in comparison to yours. You have skills.

nice work.

what's inside?

what leather?

Thank you for the kind comments, they are greatly appreciated. 

As requested a few more photos.

Gladstone_4.png.0152fb2fcd0ccc5d66ac5497a105f6b8.pngGladstone_5.png.32bfa6e67555a7b9348dfaf530f67a3b.pngGladstone_6.png.92319402e00167f53dd8557cd520f7b8.pngGladstone_7.png.79d52cc686143dde2d062cb992737a98.png

In terms of construction

The closure is from 3DanSupplies on etsy - https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/3DANsupplies, this one is made from the 14" frame. One of my summer projects is going to be trying to make them out of brass angle iron, if I can work out a method of making the clip closures.

The leather is veg-tan (quoted as 7-9oz when I bought it) treated with neatsfoot then dyed with Feibing saddle tan pro dye and finished with resolene & good old boot polish.

The thread is 0.8mm Tiger thread and the lining is a lose fit bag made of pig skin, suede side showing.

I've used chicago screws for all the rivets fixed with the thread lock, mainly because I really like the finish they give, but also because I haven't found solid brass rivets yet. 

I'm looking forward to attempting the 16" and 18" versions assuming I can bring myself to sell them.

Uhm....I have missed a lot of signals and nuances along the way. I've been tinkering with leather for 3 years now and my best looks like the dog chewed it up in comparison to yours. You have skills.

Battrlemunky, I like the idea of entrusting the dog with the task of distressing the leather!

Leahterhips, the additional pics show ........... simply show perfect craftsmanship!

Just wow and thanks for the extra pics.

Cant wait to see what's next.

That's a stellar job for the first project! Makes me want to throw mine away! (heh!)
Where do you think there are issues with it? (Not that I doubt you, but because what you see could be valuable for me to know.)

@DJole

Hi again,

I'll answer part of your question with one of my wife's sayings around her crafting, partly in jest but often in practice "I am not a great crafter, I'm just very good at covering up my mistakes"

From my perspective, and I'm probably not alone in this, I'm heavily critical of my own work; but once I've considered the problems I find it a great learning process as well. So my list of challenges on the bag are;

- The tuck clasp patches are out in terms of alignment by just under an 1/8", measured twice, punched once then realised afterwards the top edge wasn't true

- Edging along the ends isn't completely clean on the burnishing. My original gluing didn't take on some sections so I had to force some more in with a syringe but even after sanding as much as I dares it still showed through.

- The stitching isn't consistent enough all over, most of it has gone really well, but those odd runs really bug the hell out of me.

- The section that goes into the closure at the top needed wet shaping before I fixed it so the closure meets completely cleanly, I was too keen to get it put together. It will bend naturally over time so hopefully not the end of the world.

After having a chat with a few of my engineering friends I've started time on making a construction sequence list until things become habit.

However, issues apart it great fun making it and I finally have my own Gladstone for work trips. Now to work out the plans for the next project...............