JLSleather

Holster "Kits" coming soon

Tired of buying a side to make a couple of holsters?  Tired of "settling" for low-end leather to avoid a 'minimum purchase"?  Hate those "kits" that claim they fit everything from a quarter to a 5-gallon pail?

Before long, I'll have pre-cut (DIE CUT) pieces available.  Still stewing over just how to go about pricing, just what to include, quick and relatively inexpensive shipping. More dies being made currently.

But these will include leather parts die cut from Hermann Oak A and B, and W/C skirting, thread (in a few colors and weights).  And the stitch line pattern for THAT firearm (holes not pre-punched - no mindless lining up).  So that would leave a fella needing glue, dye, and a needle 'er two ...

And a burnisher/slicker, saddle soap, maybe a stitching pony, and a protectant. But honestly if they don't work with with leather they'll never know about any of those things unless they do research. I have had a couple ppl ask me if it's cheaper to leave the raw edge. Lol. Just tell em I don't do that 

Oh, yeah.. I don't use saddle soap (except on saddle parts and baseball gloves ;) ) so I forgot about that!  But it will include instructions, for those who care to look at 'em.

Wait for it.... shortly someone will claim that "Jeff said saddle soap is bad and you shouldn't touch it" :rofl:

Are you sure you don't want to just sell them a sewn together holster that they can then dye their favorite color and sell, incase they aren't proficient at sewing? If everyone had a laser it would simplify life, there would be no need to use a sharp knife and cut perfectly along a line that has been drawn on the leather.  But I digress you must have studied your market needs and what will sell in the market you wish to reach, sort of like a point of equilibrium!?

soap is bad it dries out the skin and makes it dry and flaking like, soap is no Bueno.

Jeff said saddle soap is bad :huh::huh:

18 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

you must have studied your market needs and what will sell in the market you wish to reach

Nope, not at all.  SOme folks might benefit from this / others maybe not.  Either way is fine :) 

16 minutes ago, wayner said:

Jeff said saddle soap is bad :huh::huh:

See there.. I knowed it!

I 'think' I have parts currently for the sig 938 / 238, the G43, the Shield 9/40, the XDs 3 1/4", small and large single mag pouch, and shortly the Sig P320 full and compact models.

Have to weed through the boxes to see just what else i have "around".

Thread in 207 and 277 in black, brown, some red, and 346 in a grey (ish) ..

Oh, yeah... somebody will say .. WHY so FEW?  Because these are not '50/50', but rather made to 'wrap' a bit. :o

Hey Jeff , why no never mind . Lol just having fun with you 

35 minutes ago, wayner said:

Hey Jeff , why no never mind . Lol just having fun with you 

Yeah, SOMEBODY gotta he capable of a little humor now 'n' then!

jeff you opening a new door

idunno what that means :o

9 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I don't use saddle soap

What do you use to edge with? 

I'm sure there's a market for kits. Especially if you have it online. People like the satisfaction of "making" it themselves even tho the hardest part of the job is done. 

12 minutes ago, Clintock said:

What do you use to edge with? 

Water.  Maybe ocassionally a dab of wax on a stubborn piece, but mostly just water.  And dye.  And elbow.

I like the idea of having a few pieces clicked out. I hate throwing any of my scrap cutoffs away.lol Just can't justify a clicker.

• Are we there yet?
  • Are we there yet?
  • Are we there yet?
  • Are we there yet?

:rofl:

If everyone had a laser it would simplify life, there would be no need to use a sharp knife and cut perfectly along a line that has been drawn on the leather.  But I digress you must have studied your market needs and what will sell in the market you wish to reach,

Simple enough to cut out once designed -- no laser, but a die cuts purdy cleanly :o

Question, then, is how to price the thing, where a fella is paying for the pattern, but also aint paying for the pattern repeatedly.  So, what's the 'middle ground' here?

1. buy the pattern once
  3. paying for the pattern again every time you order a kit.

I mean, what's #2 in between 1 and 3? :whistle:

Simple enough to cut out once designed -- no laser, but a die cuts purdy cleanly :o

Question, then, is how to price the thing, where a fella is paying for the pattern, but also aint paying for the pattern repeatedly.  So, what's the 'middle ground' here?

1. buy the pattern once
  3. paying for the pattern again every time you order a kit.

I mean, what's #2 in between 1 and 3? :whistle:

Just offer the pattern for free with a kit purchase. Easy Peasey.

Just offer the pattern for free with a kit purchase. Easy Peasey.

Free leather patterns.  Now how come I didn't think of that?#$! :Lighten:

Just checked cutesy for leather "kits" (since I've been on the phone all morning anyway!).  Rough guessing, if a "kit" for a little "folded card holder" wallet (basically teh same thing as the free pattern on my site) is $25, then a pre-cut holster "blank" must run about $400 :rofl:

Gittin' closer.  Have to find the time to write up some slightly new directions for the "pancakes".. since these are not '50/50' 'down-the-middle' pieces (front panel is somewhat larger than the back).

But I'm starting to arrange some 'avenger' style "blanks". Which are easily converted to an IWB or "appendix" -- guy who can sign his name won't need instructions for that... or will he?  I often forget that people will pay for a pattern of a rectangle that gets folded over and stitched along the edge :o