Chayse

It followed me home....New to me Singer 111w

I took a short trip to go and 'test drive' the 2 Singers I had mentioned in my earlier thread. The owner of these machines was maybe 25 and had very little knowledge of either of the Singers. Story has it that the upholstery guy at their shop up and moved, leaving the 2 machines behind. The boss told him to get rid of them...so like any smart person, he took them home. And there they sat in the living room.

I brought a couple of scraps with me from home...the only 3 scraps I had...some 1000D Cordura and some leather. Maybe you all can identify the leather, just a bag of cutoffs that you can buy at your local hobby store. I do not know the differences in leather yet...vegtan, etc. One of the machines was already threaded...not by the owner but the upholstery guy. The 211 had some #92, so I started there. The 211 sewed very nice on both the Cordura and the leather. I will admit that I had a hard time with controlling the clutch motor...a HUGE factory Singer clutch motor! I didn't bother to look at what HP or rpm that thing was ...all I know is that it was FAST!! Everything operated just fine with no issues noted.

So then I moved on to the 111...it was not threaded! I tried my best to remember how to thread this thing...I probably watched 30 videos last night on both of the machines. The 2 threads available on the stand were #92 and # 138, both UVR thread. I started with the 92 and had no issues...except for proper control of the clutch motor!. I forgot to bring one of my dogs squishy balls with me to put under the pedal...ugh! I then removed the 92 and threaded the 138...again..probably wrong! I did notice the tension was off and you can see in the below pics, the top tension is to tight. Overall, other than the tension, the machine had no issues. I will add that I have no idea what thread was on the bobbin of either machine.

I scoured the machine for flaws, wiggled things, moved the needlebar, rocked the handwheel for play...you name it. To a total novice like myself, it seemed fine. I paid the man our agreed price, $280, and he helped me load it. I will include some pictures below...and I am excited to have this machine! It did come with 62 new needles (i counted them..LOL), and 4 bobbins. Looking at the needles, they are marked "Indor 110", I believe they are size 18? For that matter, I do not even know if they a for leather or marine canvas...haven't researched them yet. As of now, the machine is in the garage until I can make a bit of room in the spare bedroom.....

Thanks to everyone for their advice and insight on the two machines, I think I made a good choice but only time will tell.

V/r,

Chayse

Singer.jpg

Singer 2.jpg

Back.jpg

Some more pics...

Bottom.jpg

foot.jpg

Serial #.jpg

And some more....

switch.jpg

Needle.jpg

Stitches...just short runs on the Cordura and leather.

Cordura.jpg

Stitch Front.jpg

Stitch Back.jpg

Last ones...I promise!

Motor.jpg

Leather.jpg

Looks like a great find to me! Have fun. 

Regards, Eric 

Good choice & great price.Now the fun begins!

I reckon you did real good! Trust me, you really need to ditch that motor for a servo, that thing is rated at 3500 rpm and even if you fit speed reducing pulleys it will be far too fast for a newbie to try and control. Trust me, I've been there, done that (and mine was rated at 1725 rpm!).

As for the needles, depending what you want to sew they may work fine for you, no harm in experimenting.

Thanks @gottaknow, @CowboyBob, and @dikman...I am truly excited! If I would have had the funds and space...I would have bought them both! I can't wait to get started with these machines. Unfortunately, seeming that we just bought a house....certain 'honey-do's take precedence over my hobby. The biggest is getting the fence up for my rescue dogs....right now they have a 40ft x 100ft area to run. I have roughly 400 linear feet of fence to put up....and I am really not looking forward to it! But, they deserve the room and space to run...I will kindly take a backseat to them..just due to the fact that with their history, they deserve it.

V/r,

Chayse

NICE find.  Looks like a good clean machine. 

Here is my advice - Get some eye protection safety glasses, especially while practicing with that clutch motor.  If the needle gets pulled one way or the other it will hit the hook or needle plate and snap, then head right for you eyes. 

I do notice that you have the welt foot on there,  It's harder to sew a flat or straight line with a welt foot (unless your actually using it as a welt foot).  So your going to want to get a some feet for it.  I use the spring loaded edge-guide foot, but some people just like regular feet and a magnet or screw-on guide attachment.  Someone once told me you run one size smaller thread on the bottom than you do on the top, so 92 bottom 138 top, for best results.  Once you get comfortable with the machine you can set it for 138 top and bottom but I have found it also depends on how thick of a project you sewing.  A little trick with the Singer machines is that you hold the top and bottom thread gently so they have a little tension on them as you make the first few stiches. This helps lock the first few stiches in place.  Also if you want to sew by hand turning the wheel with the Clutch motor, (off) you need to press the petal so it opens the clutch and you can then turn the wheel, otherwise it will be hard to turn.  However you will want to replace the motor as soon as you can. 

If the internal timing belt was ever replaced, sometimes the numbers in the window don't line up with the stich-count adjustment, its not a big deal, you just have to be aware of it. 

Needles: The 135X17 are for canvas and fabric --135X16 are for leather they will have a chisel point on them.

Scan of the guide:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8SsIFb6Bqz7bnNlY2ctcktpWTQ

Enjoy I love my 111

Sharp eyes, Yetibelle! I ended up with a few welt-type feet, so I ground one set down to give me flat feet. Quicker than waiting for delivery from overseas.

First and foremost, I would like to thank those that have given advice and insight to my latest machine! It is still in the garage and am sure it feels at home with the rest of the machinery but soon, I will move it inside to it's new location. I am not even going to attempt to learn on the machine with the current motor setup...I think it would be a wasted effort. I might as well wait until I buy a couple servo motors...one for the Chandler and one for the Singer 111W to even start the learning process. Not to mention it is a few steps back in the current 'To-Do' list that I have at the moment. 

In the meantime, I will source some new feet for the machine and stockpile them, as after my current project leaves, I can then concentrate on getting the machines setup and ready for my next project. Ahead of the machines is sitting in the garage, a 1996 Ford full size Bronco, my boss's truck from work. It was in dire straits and am almost complete before it heads of to get the interior lined and paint/body. That should buy me enough time to get room setup for the machines. 

On another note, my wife is ecstatic that I have finally completed my sewing machine inventory, thus focusing on her 'honey-do' list for me! I won't mention the fact that we just bought a house,I work a full-time job, and am a full-time college student...so in reality, I have Friday (after work), Saturday, and Sunday to try and slowly chip away at the things I need to get done! Needless to say, it keeps me busy but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Thanks again and I will update as things progress!!

V/r,

Chayse

Way to go on the rescue pups! !

@mixmkr..Thanks! The pups need a place to run, so I must get this fence done...and summer is just around the corner!

H Chayse - Your experience with the 111 is similar to my own here in the UK except that I bought mine on eBay and had it pallet shipped to my home address, always a risky move as you cannot check them out before hand.  I bid on a job lot of 3 machines from someone who had no idea what they were or what condition they were in.  I was lucky as they were well strapped to a pallet and they arrived without mishap.  The machines were a 111W154 and a 111G155, along with a Singer 31.  All machines have been tested and all are working although I have a small issue with the 111G155 inasmuch that the needle arm seems to be moving outwards a small amount and the feed dog is just getting snagged by the needle hole and worn away so I must investigate that issue.  I have been using the 154 and it sews just fine.  I also have trouble controlling the speed of the clutch motor and have fitted a speed reducer, which has made things much more manageable. I use the same table (and motor and speed reducer) for all my machines and am about to fit that table with a DC Motor and Controller that I have been building and have "trialled" on a 45K.  It worked just fine and I'm sure it will be even better with the smaller machines I use on the other table. So I will eventually end up with two tables, the first will be for my 111s, 31s and a couple of domestics for which I have made an insert that converts the cut out to the required shapes, and another table for the 45K and 132k6, these of course being a lot bigger and hence for the 132, a bigger cut out.  To save footprint I have cut the tables down somewhat and if the need arises, I will fit the tables with a hinged or removable (or both) extension pieces.  By then I will hopefully have a few designs and will start to actually make something, hopefully in a combination of heavy canvas and leather.

Regards

David

Oh yes, the dreaded clutch motor...a bit to much for me. I find that a small foam ball under the pedal usually will give me the control that I am after when it comes to my 111. I have redesigned the table for my 105-64 and after I finish my DC motor, I will adapt it to the 105 for it's trial run. I think it will work just fine, with a dial control to limit the speed on the cylinder arm machine without the use of a reducer. And not to mention, the ease of using a modern electric pedal to keep both hands free for sewing! I will post an update as things progress..although slowly due to work, school, and other pressing projects!

V/r,

Chayse