venator

What am I doing wrong (6 strand around a core)

So I can 4 strand around a core no problem but the moment I go to 6 strands it all goes to hell.  My front side looks awesome and tight but my backside looks horrific.

I'm a total rookie and I haven't been able to search out any answers so I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Hy1CM7TRoJ7B4Xqg-pic-jpg.jpg

T8oXTijCfO3WkuTy-pic-jpg.jpg

Your core is to wide for the width of your strands.

Try one without a core and then one with a thin core, say one thong. Then a three braid core.

I agree with MadHatter, core is too big to cover with six strands that width. If your definitely wanting to cover that size core it looks like 8 strands would probably do it & you could go to an o/u 2.

@venator, I used paracord as a core on the leash below, with 6 strands of ~5mm roo lace, and it seemed to go ok...

IMG_0152.JPG

Thanks folks I appreciate the advice.  I did this last week with a four strand around  a core and it turned out fairly well.

nkUdmDcTflPzxZos-pic-jpg.jpg

They are right about the core being too large in diameter for the width of the lace strands you are using. To get an idea of core sizes to use I took 1/4' wide cow lace and did a 4 strand plait without a core. Then over that 4 strand I did a 6 strand plait using the same size lace and to see how laid, then I took some 3/16' lace and did an 8 plait over the 6 to see how it fit and also 1/4 lace in an 8 plait over the 6 to see how that fit too. I try not to use rope or anything like that as a core when braiding leather. when doing leather or other materials my cores are braided from the materials that I am using for that project. You will learn as you get more practice just what size core works for what. With braiding it all comes down to a lot of time with multiple strands in your hand. I braid a lot of 8,10,12 and 16 plait braids. Your get back biker whip looks very good. Good luck and just keep with it.