Hi everyone. I picked up a bottle of Eco-Flo 32oz coal black leather dye. It is a water based dye. I normally go for oil dye but it is expensive. I am trying to give this a shot but I am frustrated with it. It seems like to get any decent coverage I need to put a bajillion coats on and even then it doesn't penetrate very far into the skin. 

Has anyone used this before? Does anyone have an tips to get better penetration/coverage? 

Thanks for the help! 

Teo

016a517d05ef6c92f7271f84f8275b622bb18a0b5a.jpg

I think you've pretty much answered your question. - go BACK to the oil dye. Eco-foo-foo is crap.

Try giving the piece a light spray of water before applying the dye. Opens up the pores a bit. It will never penetrate like oil dye but I have used it a lot (very limited choices where I live) and never had a bad dye job or rub off.

Try giving the piece a light spray of water before applying the dye. Opens up the pores a bit. It will never penetrate like oil dye but I have used it a lot (very limited choices where I live) and never had a bad dye job or rub off.

How deep does it go with the light spray of water? I tried that but seems like I still have to put on a ton of coats. I almost want to get a tray and just soak the piece in it. 

How deep does it go with the light spray of water? I tried that but seems like I still have to put on a ton of coats. I almost want to get a tray and just soak the piece in it. 

Really hard to put a number on that. Never as deep as oil or spirit based dyes but seem to be adequate. I have been carrying around a black dyed front pocket wallet for the past several months. Shares a pocket with a knife and other pocket debris and and it's still going strong. I usually do a couple of coats applied with sheep's wool.

Best tip of all: DO NOT USE ECO-FLO PRODUCTS.  Terrible coverage and the DO NOT hold fast to the leather; they love to rub off and have no depth of color penetration.  This issue has been addressed time and time again yet we still see it coming up.  There are literally thousands of threads here in this community that go into the Eco-Flo issues alone so there is no reason why this type of question should be coming around again.  Please do yourself a favor and research the threads of this community thoroughly before asking what has been asked a thousand plus times.

Best tip of all: DO NOT USE ECO-FLO PRODUCTS.  

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Best tip of all: DO NOT USE ECO-FLO PRODUCTS.  Terrible coverage and the DO NOT hold fast to the leather; they love to rub off and have no depth of color penetration.  This issue has been addressed time and time again yet we still see it coming up.  There are literally thousands of threads here in this community that go into the Eco-Flo issues alone so there is no reason why this type of question should be coming around again.  Please do yourself a favor and research the threads of this community thoroughly before asking what has been asked a thousand plus times.

There is a reason why this question keeps popping up. Have you tried to search for something on this website? A simple keyword search brings up the thousands of threads with that word in it. Then you have to try to sift through that to figure out the answer you are looking for. I have done research for many things and after going through a lot of the threads and still not finding the answer I find it easier to ask the experts.

If you have any tips on how to refine the search to make it easier and more efficient since time is a precious commodity, I would greatly appreciate it. 

If people would start using Tags when writing a post, that should eventually help to sort out search.  Very few people use that feature though.

What is a "Tag"???

Look at the title of this thread; under it you'll see four greyed arrows with words in them. Those are the tags.

AFAI can see only the thread starter can add tags on this forum.

By using those 'tags' anyone searching for Tandy eco-flo dye will get this thread in their search return as well as any other using those words

Thanks.  How do you "Tag" something??  And how to I search on that Tag? 

Thanks.  How do you "Tag" something??  And how to I search on that Tag? 

It is not tagging a person like facebook.  This is about keyword tags for SEO (search engine optimization)

Other than the black, I've had good experiences with Eco-Flo.  It definitely requires a good finish (I use Super Sheen and Fiebings Aussie), and I hold the item a couple of days before I ship it off, but I've got a three year old bird bag dyed timber brown that has seen some pretty harsh use, and has no fading or loss of color. 

I cannot find a good black dye, by the way.  I've heard it recommended that, indeed, you should try dipping the whole piece (but, I don't have the space/money for that kind of dye job).

There is a reason why this question keeps popping up. Have you tried to search for something on this website? A simple keyword search brings up the thousands of threads with that word in it. Then you have to try to sift through that to figure out the answer you are looking for. I have done research for many things and after going through a lot of the threads and still not finding the answer I find it easier to ask the experts.

If you have any tips on how to refine the search to make it easier and more efficient since time is a precious commodity, I would greatly appreciate it. 

You can do a Google search restricted to this site.  Include "site:leatherworker.net" along with your search terms (without the quotes) and you can use all the advanced functions of Goggle search.  Their search engines have indexed millions or billions of web pages and are faster and better than what this site uses.  Try it out and see.

Tom

You can do a Google search restricted to this site.  Include "site:leatherworker.net" along with your search terms (without the quotes) and you can use all the advanced functions of Goggle search.  Their search engines have indexed millions or billions of web pages and are faster and better than what this site uses.  Try it out and see.

Tom

Additionally you can get help with google search simply by going to google.com and typing in  "help"  or "search help".  Information on searching a site in depth is there if you care to read it.

rick

Tom

Additionally you can get help with google search simply by going to google.com and typing in  "help"  or "search help".  Information on searching a site in depth is there if you care to read it.

rick

Thank you!

Other than the black, I've had good experiences with Eco-Flo.  It definitely requires a good finish (I use Super Sheen and Fiebings Aussie), and I hold the item a couple of days before I ship it off, but I've got a three year old bird bag dyed timber brown that has seen some pretty harsh use, and has no fading or loss of color. 

I cannot find a good black dye, by the way.  I've heard it recommended that, indeed, you should try dipping the whole piece (but, I don't have the space/money for that kind of dye job).

Ya I hear you on the lack of space/money. I think I will use this dye for small jobs and jobs that are just quick small items that don't require a lot of precision/long lasting.