Squirrelly66

Leather Cow whip start and some other whips.

I've been braiding for awhile now. Decided to grab some veg tan and make my own lace and do a leather 8' cow whip like the ones I've been doing from paracord, The bull whips here are a 3 layer plait over a weighted core. The layers are an 8 plait, 12 plait and the overlay is a 16 plait.  My longest whips are 10' and the shortest is a 4'. The cow whips are wooden handled and the ones shown are my variation of what the Joker and Harley Quinn would carry if they used whips. The cow whips are a 2 layer plait over a weighted core. They are a 10 plait with a 179.jpg.d599021f975bce7499730c108d329b06.jpg12 plait overlay. Unlike the traditional end of a bull whip these are braided down to a 4 plait with a twisted taper end. The falls attach differently also. The Bull whips I learned to make from a book by Paul Carpenter - The Paracord Bullwhip. The Cow whip style was learned from a whip making video put out by whip maker Rhett Kelley. I've also applied techniques learned from a number of leather and paracord braiding books. The small black leather whip thong is made from Tandy leather because I needed something cheap to work out the bugs for doing a larger better quality leather whip. The larger whip will be done in mahogany oil dye. Thank you hope you enjoy the pics. Bonnie Boo these pics are for you. lolol. As well as the rest of my chat friends who know how I feel about taking pics all the time .

180.jpg

178.jpg

182.jpg

183.jpg

190.jpg

191.jpg

186.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

128.jpg

131.jpg

153.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

169.jpg

I like those whips. Very interesting, thanks for sharing these photos.

Thanks Rohn. I actually love to braid. The and as far as color combos I wasn't really paying attention to the colors when I made the Joker and Harley Quinn. I was looking at all the colors on my spools on the bench and just starting paring them as to what I thought would look good together. It was pointed out to me later when I went to the wood store to get some more handle wood by a guy that works there as to what the colors were. lol. The handles on these are white oak with 6 coats of true oil gunstock finish.

Very nice. I haven't seen veg tan before for a whip. I'm not sure how well it'll hold up. But I have no experience with it. I've always read that redhide or latigo is best for cowhide whips but I guess that doesn't mean much. I'm curious to see how they hold up! 

I've made a couple paracord whips myself, it's fun to do isn't it? Keep it up

Thanks Stetson912.

When I'm done I'll rub it down with conditioner's and other things that I've used in the past on other projects I've done. Yeah paracord is fun. gotta watch the tips on those cow whips, they fast and those whips are some slinky limp when handling them.

Real nice work brother!

Yup, gotta keep em lubed up haha. 

Thanks Kiwi. I gotta good scar on the back of my neck from the 10' brown one, lol.

and a cool story to go with it !

This is a customer's request. It is a Australian style stock whip with a 24" maple wood handle (customer supplied the log ) a 36" long whip body with a golf ball in a monkey's fist on the end. This is all done in brown 550 paracord. The cord for the monkey's fist still has the innards in it. I made it so that the monkey fist attaches to the end of the whip just like you would attach the fall, incase any repairs need to be made.

192L.jpg

193L.jpg

194L.jpg

Thanks LOL!!!