tmitch

Twisting Thread Winding Bobbins

When winding bobbins the thread off the cone results in a tangled twisted mess, even if I force the cone to unwind from the side like a spool. I made a separate bobbin winder powered with a sewing machine motor, but it works just like the stock winder.  The thread is Nylon - Size 138 - Beige #2 (Fil-Tec #111) - Monocord - Nominal 16 Oz Spool - 2950 Yards

You need to take the thread up over-the-top - then down to the bobbin winder through the tension disk.  See video example.

You need to take the thread up over-the-top - then down to the bobbin winder through the tension disk.  See video example.

I did it just like the video, and it still puts a severe twist in the thread to the point where the second bobbin causes so much the thread coming off the cone starts twisting itself into knots.  It doesn't seem to do this while sewing.

Thanks  Yetibelle, but it didn't help.  That is exactly how I do it.

What bobbins are you winding? Standard bobbins (like Singer 111) or barrel type bobbins (like Singer 445K or 441 type machines? You probably have to adjust the position of the tension unit on the winder or maybe in crease the tension.Could be poor thread too. Post some pictures please.

The bobbins were listed as JUKI LH-512 / LH-515 BOBBINS 100 EACH #B-9117-051-000, but I have the same problem with different bobbins.  The twisting happens to the thread coming off the cone, before it even gets to the winder.   That was why I even tried pulling the thread from the side, but it didn't help.   It really doesn't have anything to do with  the winder, I just included the information about the winder so I gave all the information.  Notes I included the thread information at the beginning.  The thread is Nylon - Size 138 - Beige #2 (Fil-Tec #111) - Monocord - Nominal 16 Oz Spool - 2950 Yards , this was a premium thread purchased from the thread exchange.  I don't understand why I don't have this problem when sewing.

I'll try to post some pictures when I wind some more bobbins but I have to wind a few before I realize that the thread is twisting and it makes such a mess with a lot of unusable thread.

Edited by tmitch
added some info

You have to post pictures - no one can imagine how your set up looks likes. So when the mess is happening on the thread spool I would try a boot sock netting and / or give more tension on the on the bobbin winder pre tension unit or has your machine a built in bobbin winder w/o pre tension? Sorry but we only can guess with out seeing pictures.

Edited by Constabulary

Here is my set up for winding bobbins.  It is just like the stock set up except that I moved the bobbin winder to the side and powered it with its own motor.  The thread comes off the top of the cones and down to the winder's tension.

006.jpg

Two things come to mind.

First, if the speed of your motor for your winder is too fast, you don't have a chance, especially with bonded thread.

Second, most thread manufacturers recommend having the first guide loop 2 1/2 times the height of the cone height. For example, if the height of the cone is 8", the first loop the thread passes through should be 20" from the base where the cone sits. Thread needs a chance to unwind and relax before it goes through the tension disc. The wire loop also needs to be directly above the center of the cone.

Oh, and lastly, high quality thread tends to behave itself better all the way around. (not judging your thread, just commentary).

Regards, Eric

Two things come to mind.

First, if the speed of your motor for your winder is too fast, you don't have a chance, especially with bonded thread.

Second, most thread manufacturers recommend having the first guide loop 2 1/2 times the height of the cone height. For example, if the height of the cone is 8", the first loop the thread passes through should be 20" from the base where the cone sits. Thread needs a chance to unwind and relax before it goes through the tension disc. The wire loop also needs to be directly above the center of the cone.

Oh, and lastly, high quality thread tends to behave itself better all the way around. (not judging your thread, just commentary).

Regards, Eric

On the first point, my winder motor goes through a foot controller so I can vary the speed from a crawl, to anything and I always  wind at a moderate speed.

If I understand your second point, my cones are approximately 7" tall and the loop that draws the thread up off the top only 3.5" from the top of the cone, it is not enough? But it travels at least 20 more inches down to the loop hole at the tension assembly of the winder.  I could set the cone on the table, but that would only gain me 13" above the top of the cone.

I thought the thread exchange supplied "high quality thread" as that was recommended to me by numerous answers as to where I should obtain my thread.

3.5" above your cone is not nearly enough. From the base where your thread sits you should be at least 17" to the first guide loop. It doesn't matter how far it is to the winder. Even with smaller poly/cotton thread you need more distance. You could also add another guide between the first guide and the winder. If you do that, don't make a loop for the thread on the end of a wire. Your thread will throw a half-hitch around it and hang up. Use a longer piece of wire, install a guide at least 6" down from the top so it can't wrap around and get caught. Also, the older the thread, the kinkier it gets. I would start with getting your first thread guide quite a bit higher than it is now and go from there.

Regards, Eric

When I made a motorized bobbin winder I needed a thread guide for it but wanted it adjustable. Looking in one of my junk boxes I found the legs off a cheap camera tripod, fitted a wooden block with a couple of eyebolts on the top and attached it to the base of the winder. It worked so well that I made a free-standing one so that I could use the large spools with a portable machine.

5909211089c34_Threadguide1a.jpg.b1ea392acfcd9cba2ce8a72a96839396.jpg

5909212a0d1bd_Threadguide2a.jpg.30a96ce02cb5dda82b6be00c6315ba39.jpg

Extends high enough to let the thread unwind easily.

Dikman, Neat, I am going to see if I can find one of my old tripods.