BWL

Leather glue

I am looking for a leather bonding glue. I would prefer that it has a fine tip. Does anyone have any ideas?

Fiebings sells leathercraft cement in a 4 oz bottle with a narrow tip.  This is water-based almost like Elmer's school glue but it stays flexible.  I think Tandys carries a similar produc with their own label.

If You are doing a fair bit of glueing you might find this of help. The brush version you should be able to get from a shoe repair supplier there and the tube version is what I came up with for fine tip glueing with contact cement. The brush part can be separated and this leaves an aluminium part that has a hole through it. From a craft/hobby supply store I was able to get a brass tube about a foot long that fits this hole pretty neat. I cut this down to length and then with a pin punch gently heat and flair one end a bit. This stops the tube from pushing out. A few punch hits on the aluminium around the tube lock it in nice and tight. A bit of brake tube squeezed of on one end acts to cover the brass tube and stop the glue from drying out between uses.The army food container thing with thinners in was my best answer to keeping the brushes supple and ready between uses.Have fun it work very well.

DSC08070_resize.JPG

DSC08073_resize.JPG

DSC08074_resize.JPG

The brush version is a common thing to see in the shoe repair trade but funny enough I have never seen it in use in the leather goods manufacturing before.I use one here nearly every day and the version I made is fantastic for small seam lines around bag edges and watch bands and heaps of other little bits.You can see in my web page where the girls here stick flowers and leaves and all sorts onto the bags and purses and before they are stitched this is commonly used to stick them in place. This bag is a good example of what I am talking about.

IMGP9011_resize.jpg

IMGP9016_resize.jpg

Weaver sells the exact same red can with brush.  Retail site www.weaverleathersupply.com and the item # is 65-6075, you can put that in the search field to pull it up.  This is also available in our wholesale catalog.  

Thanks everyone for your responses :spoton:This is giving me food for thought. 

I have used the fiebings water based glue. It works great. If I find myself wanting to speed up, I use weldwood.

16 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I have used the fiebings water based glue. It works great. If I find myself wanting to speed up, I use weldwood.

Thanks Bikermutt07! I am trying E-600 at present; a recommendation from my daughter. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the reply:yes: 

Haven't heard of it. How is it going?

3 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Haven't heard of it. How is it going?

Actually I think I Like it. It's quick drying (apply on both contact surfaces) and is a bit like contact cement. It appears to dry more pliable than contact cement. It come in a tube with a fine nose on it. I bought a small tube of it at Hobby Lobby. As of now it is serving me well.:banana: 

Howdy Guys.

This is more of a question than a reply. Being unfamiliar with forums, I'm not sure how to post a topic? I apologize if this is unacceptable behavior?

I'm looking for a "Thin" contact cement that I can easily apply, but will still give me that contact cement set time of about 15 minutes, any thoughts? I've been using Elmer's Glue All, but it takes about 24 hours to set, before it's safe to work with. I find that I tend to procrastinate. If I have to wait that long to get back to work on a project then I generally don't want to get back to work on it. Being 68 yrs. old and having survived a stroke with limited mobility and dexterity, doesn't help.  I've tried Weld Wood contact cement, and Elmer's contact cement but it's like trying to brush on snot, they just roll and bead up, and they dry up in the bottle before I get to use it all. I don't glue enough leather to get my money out of them before they're useless.Thank you guys. God bless.

Stoney