alexitbe

Something Different....a Singer 172K

Well I thought this might be a bit different to what we normally see on here...

Its an old glove making machine which is unusual in that it does a standard lockstitch. In my experience most glove machines are like fur machines and do a single or double thread overseam stitch.

Singer172Birdseye.thumb.JPG.d101305b54710bb0805bbd2ded1cf5b6.JPG

Singer172Side.thumb.JPG.7ac513ffbbbbe681034bb03519df50b1.JPG

It took me severall attempts to thread, and it might still be wrong, but its sews well with only an occasional pull through of the upper thread (red) to the underside (black thread).  The machine is full of fluff, especially in the spool ad hook area so I think a quick clean will do the job. The spool is not turning smoothly by hand, so I think this is the source.

Lower or spool thread side.

Singer172SpoolThread.thumb.JPG.efca63683fe71bb201a7cee55196a7c9.JPG

Upper or needle thread side

Singer172NeedleThread.thumb.JPG.bbc2ab22f3fb039121bc433a8065240e.JPG

Enjoy something different... You can ask me questions, but I really know nothing about it.   It has a variable stitch length adjuster, which is handily writtine in SPI. The largest look to be about 5-6 mm, which for gloves seems to be extremely long.

In addition, as with a normal sewing machine one must hold the threads at the begining otherwise the upper thread gets pulled through and there's a bit of a mess underneath

Cheers

Alex

Edited by alexitbe

I've never seen one,nice looking machine though!

There's a glove manufacturer here in Idaho that has a couple of those. They are funny looking for sure. I have a pdf of the parts book if you need it.

Regards, Eric

Thanks Eric, Bob and Trash Treasure... Glad you found it interesting.

Eric, thanks for the kind offer, but I have managed to a parts list, just not a maual.  It would be nice to somehow find a manual.

Today, I had another play with it and it managed to sew some shearling really nicely.  The thread was too thin really, but here are both sides of the same piece.

needle thread

ShearlingNeedleThread.thumb.JPG.fc74a4ee3dee0cecf9708b75aaf30404.JPG

Spool Thread.

ShearlingSpoolThread.thumb.JPG.963911e5968f5d29abc20cf9b4ba1f3b.JPG

I might try making a tester shearling mitten just to see how it gets through it.

I would say that thread size of upper and lower have to be the same...Otherwise it doesn't sew. well..

I am using Gutermann 120, which is a little thinner than the Gutermann sewall thread.  It is used particularly for sergers and I would say that it is happy in 80 nm sized needles..

Cheers

Alex

Edited by alexitbe

The guy here in Idaho that makes gloves does the seam first with a Bonis glove machine then  uses the 172 for seam strength. Still gives the strength but with a nice finished edge. I have 2 Bonis machines here at the factory, but we don't use them.

Regards, Eric

Hi Eric,

I would never have thought of doing that, but it makes sense as the Bonis machine's stitch can easily unravel when broken.  However, it must take a lot of skill to sew the seam twice and I know I couldn't do it (atleast at the moment).  I have enough trouble sewing in a straight line. :(:)

There is a big market for Bonis machines. If you were to sell, I am sure you would get a good price.

Cheers

Alex

I have 2 Bonis machines here at the factory, but we don't use them.

If you have no use - I take em and will dispose then environment friendly :whistle:

If you have no use - I take em and will dispose then environment friendly :whistle:

Lol. I bet you would!

Regards, Eric 

I've kind of been wanting a Bonis (or similar) fur sewing machine for a year or two. I repair all kinds of leather and some fur covered items, including gloves, fur coats and Ugg type shoes. I should investigate if there are any clamp on/portable units made, as I've run out of room for any more machine tables.

Lol. I bet you would!

Regards, Eric 

Ha ha - for suuuure! But I´m kind enough and would leave one for Wiz  :lol:

Wiz, maybe we can convince Eric that we will "dispose" them properly.

I've kind of been wanting a Bonis (or similar) fur sewing machine for a year or two. I repair all kinds of leather and some fur covered items, including gloves, fur coats and Ugg type shoes. I should investigate if there are any clamp on/portable units made, as I've run out of room for any more machine tables.

The footprint on the Bonis is really small. You could fit the entire setup on an 20" x 20" table. They're pretty fun to sew with and super easy to work on. 

Regards, Eric

As Eric said, all these fur or glove machines have a small footprint and are portable and weigh at most 16 kg.

I would say that the single thread overseamers are only good for fur, where there is little risk of the thread being broken as it is protected by the fur itself on the oneside and lining on the other.

double thread can be used for gloves or Ugg boots( I just checked my girlfriends)..It does not unravel if broken.

Eric, perhaps I can ask your opinion on one of my overseamers?... The timing is wrong and I cannot fix it. The wheel either does not feed or feeds at the wrong time time when the needle has penetrated the leather.  It is not a Bonis, but a Textima.

Cheers

Alex

As Eric said, all these fur or glove machines have a small footprint and are portable and weigh at most 16 kg.

I would say that the single thread overseamers are only good for fur, where there is little risk of the thread being broken as it is protected by the fur itself on the oneside and lining on the other.

double thread can be used for gloves or Ugg boots( I just checked my girlfriends)..It does not unravel if broken.

Eric, perhaps I can ask your opinion on one of my overseamers?... The timing is wrong and I cannot fix it. The wheel either does not feed or feeds at the wrong time time when the needle has penetrated the leather.  It is not a Bonis, but a Textima.

Cheers

Alex

Hard to say where the exact problem lies, I'm not sure which model you have. Do you have a service and parts manual?

Regards, Eric 

Hi Eric,

I do not know the model of the textima of hand... Its hidden away in the cellar.  What happened is that it worked fine until I power hosed it with water to clean it.  After that the feed never worked properly...

Anyway, I have spent the whole of today getting the Singer conected to a treddle and have managed to do one leather glove and one shearling mitten.  Camera is being difficult at the mo and I am too tired to try and sort it...  I will post the pics tmrw...

On the whole I am pleased with the result of the leather glove.  Without ironing or preparation it does not look homemade... The seams are very straight and unwavering

The mitten looks terrible as it is too thick. The seam is wondering very badly on the underside.

More tmrw

Cheers

Alex

Well, I didn't bother taking pics of the mittens.  That was down to operator error with the machine... I will adjust the presser foot hight and have another go...

However here are the pics of the inside of the glove... It looks all very neat and to be honest this is my best attempt so far...

Back of hand, inside out... Black marks are melted knots or pen marks, I have forgotten..

IMG_0154.thumb.JPG.d4b62a62fb6a42b9836b33e108193073.JPG

Gusset is very neat... Inside out.IMG_0156.thumb.JPG.a39cc25db41067de967dd97b8eb0f0b5.JPG

Edited by alexitbe

And I guess I should show what it looks like in the machine...

One fourchette sewn.

DSC08517.thumb.JPG.300d12fd3631344b336056c262d5fb33.JPGDSC08516.thumb.JPG.1135ea77d5ccf95b7bfefebc5aa7cf33.JPG

Start at tip of one finger.

DSC08511.thumb.JPG.da3233729e0165ead9c0780aa5acbeac.JPG

to finger web.

DSC08513.thumb.JPG.322f1f288921fdb6222417ed3de1df1e.JPG

To the other end

DSC08515.thumb.JPG.e21351c5fdc414b0cc4991c5035af20a.JPG

I could be wrong, but this is the way I did it... I think you could sew the fourchettes from the web to the finger tips.  This would mean that you get the seam at the web perfect, but I really didn't have any problem with that..

Hope that interesting.

Alex

Edited by alexitbe

On 4/27/2017 at 7:26 PM, alexitbe said:

Hi Alex! 

I know it's an older thread, but just wondering if you still have the machine? 

Did you managed to find a manual by any chance? 

If you still have the machine, do you have a few more pictures? 

I just got one today, but even looking at the parts list, I am not sure weather is complete...

Regards, 

Esther

On 2017. 4. 28. at 오전 12시 8분, gottaknow said:

여기 아이다호에 있는 장갑 제조업체가 몇 개 있습니다. 그들은 확실히 찾고 재미 있습니다. 필요한 경우 부품 책의 pdf가 있습니다.

감사합니다, 에릭

hello. Can you send me the manual by e-mail?

On 2021. 1. 9. at 오전 12시 39분, EstherB said:

hello.
Could you send me the parts manual if you have one?
Or could you please post it here.

On 4/28/2017 at 3:26 AM, alexitbe said:

Thanks Eric, Bob and Trash Treasure... Glad you found it interesting.

Eric, thanks for the kind offer, but I have managed to a parts list, just not a maual.  It would be nice to somehow find a manual.

Today, I had another play with it and it managed to sew some shearling really nicely.  The thread was too thin really, but here are both sides of the same piece.

needle thread

ShearlingNeedleThread.thumb.JPG.fc74a4ee3dee0cecf9708b75aaf30404.JPG

Spool Thread.

ShearlingSpoolThread.thumb.JPG.963911e5968f5d29abc20cf9b4ba1f3b.JPG

I might try making a tester shearling mitten just to see how it gets through it.

I would say that thread size of upper and lower have to be the same...Otherwise it doesn't sew. well..

I am using Gutermann 120, which is a little thinner than the Gutermann sewall thread.  It is used particularly for sergers and I would say that it is happy in 80 nm sized needles..

Cheers

Alex

hello.
Can you send me the parts manual?

15 hours ago, ddiuni said:

hello.
Can you send me the parts manual?

This topic was from 2017. @alexitbe has not been active on our forum since March 25 of 2020. You might try sending him an email through the forum. But, we all know what happened in March of 2020.