Hey All!!

I posted this a while ago and got no feedback.  Maybe I didn't do it right?  Anyway, still need some guidance....

I'm working on a custom wallet project with a splattered dye job on the leather and I need to know the best black dye to use that will stay put on the leather (and not run over time) as well as the best sealant to protect the splatters from running together and/or rubbing off.  Since  this leather will be used for a wallet, it'll get a lot of use and needs to be well sealed.   

FYI, the dyes I've tried so far are:

1)Fiebings Black Leather Dye

2) Even tried Fiebings Edge Kote for a more opaque look. 

The sealants I've tried are:

1) Fiebings Acrylic Resolene (I've tried rubbing this on gently but it makes the splatter spots run)

2) Bowling Alley Wax (I've used this for years on belts and such but it's not protecting the splatter spots over time. They all blend into the leather making it look dirty...) 

Thank for your help!!

I haven't done this but here goes nothing.

First use the pro dye. 

Give the piece a coat of pure neatsfoot oil.

Wait 24 hours.

Starting with lightest splotches first, apply 1st color.

Stop. Wait 24 hours.

Buff with clean rag or old t shirt.

Apply 2nd color.

Stop. Wait 24 hours.

Buff with clean rag or old t shirt.

Apply each color this way.

After last buff apply a light coat of Aussie.

Wait 24 hours. Buff with a clean rag or t shirt.

Mix the resolene 50\50 with water.

Apply very thin coats with ample drying time in between.

Time is so often our culprit.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!  What brand of pro dye do you suggest?

I used to use USMC black myself, . . . and it does give a rich and deep black. 

But you will buff it till the cows that haven't been born, . . . die of old age.

I prefer Feibings pro oil dye, . . . use it for just about everything.

Bikermutt gave you the good directions, . . . the only thing I would add is in the neatsfoot oil, . . . it is really easy to get too much on the project.  

Put some on an old tee shirt piece, . . . and just kinda rub it on until you get an overall color change in the leather.  If the color change is even, . . . the oil is even.  If the color change is splotchy, . . . your oil is the same, . . . you will have to practice that, . . . there is no perfect way to learn that other than practice.

And when you do the Resolene, . . . apply it with a cheap, . . . 1 inch wide, bristle brush.  Apply some of it and swish it around with the brush, . . . up, down. left, right, oblique angles, . . . brush it on until you get a bit of a "little bubble" lather built up, . . . then brush out the bubbles.  For a bill fold, I might do two coats, . . . most likely I would only do one.  After it has dried for several hours, . . . go to a real good light, . . . like a window, . . . hold it up at an angle, . . . look for dull spots in the shiny finish.  Dull spots means you didn't get a good coat on.  Add another coat, . . . and make sure you get the dull spots this time.

May God bless,

Dwight

Fiebings pro dye.

And to avoid confusion the "pro oil" and pro dye are the same formula.

As per an email I received from fiebings, they are discontinuing the "pro oil" moniker due to confusion.

Cheers.

I used to use USMC black myself, . . . and it does give a rich and deep black. 

But you will buff it till the cows that haven't been born, . . . die of old age.

I prefer Feibings pro oil dye, . . . use it for just about everything.

Bikermutt gave you the good directions, . . . the only thing I would add is in the neatsfoot oil, . . . it is really easy to get too much on the project.  

Put some on an old tee shirt piece, . . . and just kinda rub it on until you get an overall color change in the leather.  If the color change is even, . . . the oil is even.  If the color change is splotchy, . . . your oil is the same, . . . you will have to practice that, . . . there is no perfect way to learn that other than practice.

And when you do the Resolene, . . . apply it with a cheap, . . . 1 inch wide, bristle brush.  Apply some of it and swish it around with the brush, . . . up, down. left, right, oblique angles, . . . brush it on until you get a bit of a "little bubble" lather built up, . . . then brush out the bubbles.  For a bill fold, I might do two coats, . . . most likely I would only do one.  After it has dried for several hours, . . . go to a real good light, . . . like a window, . . . hold it up at an angle, . . . look for dull spots in the shiny finish.  Dull spots means you didn't get a good coat on.  Add another coat, . . . and make sure you get the dull spots this time.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks so much guys!! I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes!!  I keep trying to post photos of the original/smudged version of this wallet from my phone but I keep getting a "your photo is too big" message....  I'll work on that too;)