Hello All,

Finished this saddle last weekend.  It has just two coats of light oil.

Specs are:  16" seat, Ben Swanke tree (4-1/4" x 90 w 5x12 cantle), Guadalajara horn, daisy stamp, 5" monels, in skirt rigged - Placed between 7/8ths and 3/4 position.

Still lots of imperfections - Dented cantle sewing cantle binding - Awl snapped and I jabbed handle into dish...Also, the seat has a little too much rise to it by my eye.  Wish I had of got about an extra 1/4" out up front...

Look forward to any critiques folks might have - Always looking to improve my work.

large.rig3-01.jpg.d5bd9f7fa657af1d3c064e8b344a993f.jpglarge.rig3-02.jpg.26202224b16aa8356116a21931d17a8f.jpglarge.rig3-09.jpg.8bcddce7842d501b32204b88eba4a1a9.jpglarge.rig3-03.jpg.eca9d2020a81568f886c98a00b499ccb.jpglarge.rig3-05.jpg.07690ddd66a51f1e000d49309b694c4b.jpglarge.rig3-04.jpg.169e872c061ddb9cba964888c4e4500e.jpglarge.rig3-06.jpg.4554948b1329053516b0c2a0496e41f9.jpglarge.rig3-10.jpg.387b125d444314b45da974a2e80fec6c.jpglarge.rig3-08.jpg.1cf2b3c3dc073362d1dae82988cb36b3.jpglarge.rig3-07jpg.jpg.821a514ade287d02d3483303f26c2a4a.jpg

Thanks - Ron L

Ron,

Nice clean looking saddle. As usual, I like your tooling. That looks like a meticulous job to keep the flower spacing as well as you did. I made some seat templates from a couple saddles that I like. I am hoping they will give me a little more guidance in the future.

When are you starting on #4?

Randy

Thanks Randy,

Got the daisy stamp from Jeremiah Watt...This is definitely the best ground seat I have put in so far - Went tin on this one and it's a little flatter side to side.  Rode some colts this weekend and pin bones still feel fine!

Saddle #4 starts right away here - I have ground seat in it already - So head start on it.  It's a 3B (swanke again) and will have 24" eagle beak taps...

Kind Regards,

R

FYI Little trick for spacing daisy type stamps: I have picked up several pieces in different spacings of clear plastic rug runners. Pressing the selected piece down on slightly damp leather leaves little marks from the cleats. Shopping at home supply places has yielded a collection of various patterns

Ron,

The saddle looks good.  Your cantle stitching looks good.  Have you tired rubbing out the awl mark?  You could blame it on a Levi pocket rivet and a rowdy colt.  One comment is that your flank cinch dee is wandering back some.  Also, I'm waiting to see photos of your rigging under the fenders.

Toot's pattern tip sounds worth trying.

Oltoot:  That's a great idea...my lines do wander with this daisy stamp...I'll be investing in some 'rug runner'.  Ideas like that are what make this forum so valuable!

Ron:  Thanks!  The awl haft actually made a very sharp indent - I'll blame it on my Levi's!  

On the flank cinch dee - Yes - On this one I moved it back as I had an old hand tell me once it gives a little more leverage for holding a saddle down when roping big stuff if you get your rear dee back a bit...I agree that it looks nicer to have it just below and back of cantle point.  I'd like to hear other's thoughts on this!  I'm inclined to go back to positioning it a little farther forward then I did here... 

Rigging below seat jockey - Here is a mediocre pic - I'll try to take a better one showing sewing and added rivets...

rdl-saddle-04.jpg.f6026949001a32e07db2c717c0cfa452.jpg

R

I think it looks great Ron! I'm so impressed with your cantle binding! And the ear cut looks really nice too. Both are real weak spots for me, so it's encouraging to see that you have them nailed down. Gives me hope that maybe I'll figure it out sometime too :).

That awl mar on the seat won't be too noticeable once the saddle has some more use. Is this one you built for yourself or is it for someone else?

Really a great job and a nice looking saddle!

All the best, Josh

Thanks Josh & Old Coach,

Built this one for me as I sold the first saddle I made for myself...

Spent quite a bit of time in on it last weekend - So far no complaints - In skirt rig does get you closer to the horse.  See how this one holds up but it seems to me like a good way to go - I like the lack of bulk under my leg.

Here is saddle on a waspy little gelding we just started.

Second image is of my first rig and this third one - Convincing some young ones to cross a bridge.

large.6.jpg.9c29cd58328c5e466bec803a3a4a0c7e.jpglarge.4.jpg.be319abd21b29c034a43ee16f20b1c54.jpg

Thanks Ron for the rigging photo.  I used a similar rigging on a saddle last Fall.  I like to use lugs for the skirts, and this design works great.

I'm still riding the first saddle I made, and my flank cinch dees were set back by my lack of knowledge.  I've  used this saddle extensively on a large Quarter Horse mare, and she would buck occasionally.  Recently I have been using a Colorado Saddlery with the flank cinch sitting more forward, and she seems to give me less trouble.  I now use my first saddle on a smaller QH gelding, and I can definitely see that the FC is too far back on him.  He hasn't bucked, but he is a mellow "old man's" horse.

Thanks, Ron