Mulehide bucking rolls that just got finished up. The leather is brown Chahin skirting, same as the saddle these were built for and the D's are JWP.

Thanks for looking and have a good weekend folks! 

002.JPG

Very nice Josh - Do you pack these with hair or use the Jeremiah Watt forms?

Thanks - R

Thanks Ron! Actually, neither. I use batting from the sewing section of Walmart. I bought a bag a few years ago to try and works really well for me. 

all the best, Josh

IC - Then just pack it in with a hammer handle?

Also - How do you like the Chahin leather - I've never tried it yet...Forms and tools nice?

R

Nice work. I never have understood bucking rolls.  Use a nice slick fork saddle then put bucking rolls on it? Why not just get a swell fork saddle in the first place? Do you just like the look of them?  Educate me please!  - John

Weight is one reason, a slick fork with rolls will come in a couple pounds lighter than a swell fork and in the very beginning, slick forks were usually a little kinder to the horses and thus preferred by the owners

Nice Josh!    Really nice welt, all in all nice.

I will say though I'm not a fan of the rivet over the d-ring, would rather see it sewn, to me sewn looks more finished like the rest of your Roll's.

Buck Rolls have saved me more than I can count with young or spooky horses especially when your near sixty!

Billy

Hey folks, hope you all enjoyed your weekend! We got 5" of rain here so it was pretty wet but still managed to get out a little.

Ron, correct, I stuff it in as tight as I can get it just pulling off a hand full of batting at a time. After they're packed as tight as can be I'll let them sit overnight then try to stuff in some more. The Chahin seems to cut and tool OK. It all formed well for me and the edges glossed up well. Not as good as the HO that I used on my last saddle, but OK. 

John, thanks! As for why a slick fork with bucking rolls, that is a good question and I guess it really comes down to personal preference as much as anything. I like big wood post horns that are relatively low on the saddle and a Wade type slick fork gives you that. It's not uncommon for me to ride green horses that may buck a little or get spooky and the rolls can really help if you get caught a little off guard. Bucking rolls come off if you want where a swell fork is always a swell fork. Weight as mentioned by Oltoot. But it's fair to say that I just like them. A low swell fork with a wood post horn and leg cuts would do all of things I like about slick forks. 

Good info Oltoot, thank you! 

Billy, thank you! You're right about the rivet, it would have been better to sew the D. I'll have to tiddy that up on the next set. I agree that I have been saved by bucking rolls more than a few times. To my way of thinking slick fork with rolls, or swell fork is a fair question. Slick fork with or without rolls isn't a question for me at all. I've ridden that way enough to know I don't ride well enough, or have enough balance to care for it. Even a hard turn at speed on a good broke horse will make me miss the little reassuring bump of the rolls. On a young horse that might spook hard, or go to bucking they are a necessity for me. 

Have a great day everybody! 

FYI: I stuff mine with woolskin trimmings from skirt linings, stuff it in wet with a hammer handle then fan dry it. Tanned wool is an unusual material in that it shrinks when wet and swells as it dries

Very nice.  I have a Wade tree on order and have been considering putting bucking rolls on it but I've never made them before.

FYI: I stuff mine with woolskin trimmings from skirt linings, stuff it in wet with a hammer handle then fan dry it. Tanned wool is an unusual material in that it shrinks when wet and swells as it dries

I did not know that!  Great information.

Thanks for the education! All good reasons for bucking rolls. I like that you can take them off. I am making a Wade saddle now to see how I like 'em and use for ranch roping. Just might make bucking rolls too. --John

thanks for the info on the wool stuffing Toot! That's a great tip! 

Have a great day folks!