Redhairing

Handbag Foot studs help....

You put the post through the hole in the bottom of the bag (punched to match the post diameter) and then fold the prongs outwards from the center of the post to hold the foot in place.  The interior of the bag bottom then needs to be lined to protect against any damage to the customers contents or themselves from the prongs.

Thank you for the reply...what I have are split post handbag feet and I found out that they require a wedge shaped tool to splay the legs apart and down over a washer. Basically, they are split post rivets, not the soft pronged hand bendable type at all. Found the setter at Ohio Travel Bag. These posts are very heavy and indestructible.

You need to use a riveting hammer to spread the prongs. The one end is flat hammer part but the other end is a wedge to open the wings of the feet. There are a few sizes of hammers depending what you need. I have used them for 40 years and still use them on the bags i make. They pretty much never need to be replaced....

Edited by leathersmyth

If you can't get your hands on a riveting hammer thingy, then I have a cunning plan.

In the same position, I raked about the hubby's shed, and came across a thick cold chisel thing.   A good thump, and it flattens the rivet enough to then finish off, by turning the chisel upside down, and flatten the rivet completely.   Same principle, but cost me nothing.

It worked well enough to have the cold chisel upgraded to my toolbox.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2