Constabulary

DIY Electric Bobbin Winder - Singer 111 and 45K Type Bobbins

So here are my 2 versions of an DIY electric bobbin winder. One is for 111 type bobbins and the other one for 45K (and similar) barrel type bobbins.

Being honest at the first I was not convinced that I would need these stand alone bobbin winders at all - due to the table / machine mounted v-belt driven winders I have. But after I thought I could make one from "scrap" parts I have floating around + some "china bits" I had to order I gave it a try... Well, meanwhile I don´t use the other winders anymore... After I was done with the 1st winder I was thinking of adding a micro switch to shut down the motor when the bobbin is full but then decided its not really necessary (would still be a nice featured but... well, maybe later) and the plain switch is working fine.

Instead of a foot pedal I have installed a speed controller "on board" so I can pre dial the most comfortable speed (motors have 4000rpm :blink:). The controllers and plastic housing can be found dirt cheap on Ebay.

Housing: http://www.ebay.de/itm/152131518287

110 V / 220V Controller: http://www.ebay.de/itm/391609751588

111 winder:

59049f0cba3e9_111wind(1).thumb.JPG.c180798b5504302cc8e11c669996c40c.JPG59049f1103660_111wind(2).thumb.JPG.d5811b1458c68d41e2ffa1540afbaddf.JPG59049f157108b_111wind(3).thumb.JPG.748339bee93b9d11d28e1d7494f5e93c.JPG59049f06af3c7_111wind(4).thumb.JPG.137f4247ee667e7b229823319680492d.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

I like your custom winders! That's nice work Constab!

Where did you find the netting for the thread spool? What is it called officially?

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Thread-Sock

The 45k winder still needs some fine tuning - namely a rubber tire on the pulley - but other that that it´s working very well. Both wind nice and even.

I found i like belt drive from the motor to the winder. In my tests it was much quieter. Admittedly i was using field improvised bobbin winder tires. 

All found parts. Not pretty but it works.

20170429_154457.jpg

Mine is made using a fishing rod tip, rubber tire is from an RC airplane, motor from a ventilation fan

IMG_20161127_193230800.jpg

Nice job, Constabulary (as are the others). A stand-alone winder is great as you can wind anytime, anywhere without needing a machine. I use a belt drive like lee as it gives that bit more speed reduction.

I like those socks. I've seen them somewhere else but can't remember where.

Constabulary, they sure look good to me.  Impressive results from "scrap parts".

To bad that controller company doesn't ship to the US, looks like a good item.

Nice job, Constabulary (as are the others). A stand-alone winder is great as you can wind anytime, anywhere without needing a machine. I use a belt drive like lee as it gives that bit more speed reduction.

I like those socks. I've seen them somewhere else but can't remember where.

Woolies in the fruit section I think.

Mine is made using a fishing rod tip, rubber tire is from an RC airplane, motor from a ventilation fan

IMG_20161127_193230800.jpg

Now that is a different fishing style I reckon.Fly fishing I guess.:thumbsup:

Woolies in the fruit section I think.

Actually, I think you're right, although I haven't seen them there for a while. The one I was trying to think of - the cable crews used something similar on the cables when hauling communications cables through underground ducts. I remember it looked interesting, but back then couldn't think of any other use for it!

Constabulary, they sure look good to me.  Impressive results from "scrap parts".

To bad that controller company doesn't ship to the US, looks like a good item.

scrap in quotation marks - leftovers is probably the more correct word ;)

You are right - they don`t ship the controllers to the US :blink: But I´m sure you will find similar controllers on ebay.com too.

EDIT:

There you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110-220V-2000W-SCR-Voltage-Regulator-Dimmer-Speed-Temperature-Controller-FT-/282184459457

Edited by Constabulary

About the only thing I do different on mine is to replace the shaft with a threaded version that will accept every bobbin type I own...from the Singer 29K's large bobbin to the Juki LU-563. A #12 thread works about right with the diameter range.

bobbins_1.jpg

Nice designs and beautiful workmanship @Constabulary ! That 45K bobbin in the video is wound to absolute perfection - not a single winding is out of place. 

Really nice work. Have to make similar.

And like Uwe said, that 45K is winding really really nicely.

Thanks a lot :) - yes, I´m quite pleased. That curved metal piece really makes a difference I guess! Thats a left over from a broke Adler 5 winder.

Constabulary,

Thank you for the link.

Good work Constab!

I have huge spools of thread (5000 m) and I would like to transfer them to smaller spools for convenience and in some cases neccessity.  Would this system spin the thread on well enough in an orderly manner with no tension issues?.... In particular, I wish to do this for my Gritzner Sole machine and a few others..

Cheers

Alex

Edited by alexitbe

I´m sure it would. You need a tension unit the thread is running trough or a complete Bobbin winder which suits your bobbins. Most table mounted bobbin winders have a tension unit build in. It also has to accommodate the huge thread spool. Many variants are possible but depends on how you build the winder. So far my winders all work all very well. I also have to make one for 133K / 132K bobbins sooner or later.

Nicely done everybody and thanks a whole hell of a lot. Now I must urgently make something I didn't know I needed.

Gary

Just to throw in my .02 cents worth:

IMG_1440.JPG

9 hours ago, alexitbe said:

Good work Constab!

I have huge spools of thread (5000 m) and I would like to transfer them to smaller spools for convenience and in some cases neccessity.  Would this system spin the thread on well enough in an orderly manner with no tension issues?.... In particular, I wish to do this for my Gritzner Sole machine and a few others..

Cheers

Alex

Hey Alex, What I did for a Frobana sole stitcher I had, was to tap in a post for a simple pair of singer tension discs into the top of the machine. I then ran the big spool down onto the floor behind the machine to one side a bit. This worked very well and gave me better control of the tension particularly on nylon type threads. Beats the hell out of rewinding the threads at least. Brian

1 hour ago, Hockeymender said:

Just to throw in my .02 cents worth:

IMG_1440.JPG

That is a very nice looking 2c worth I have got to say.

Clever switch set-up!

22 hours ago, GPaudler said:

Now I must urgently make something I didn't know I needed.

Gary

I wonder how many of us have done that?:lol:

On 4/29/2017 at 10:14 AM, Constabulary said:

and 45K winder:

59049f7e4c566_45Kwind(1).thumb.JPG.8690c272e294e601776ca924562b5c7b.JPG59049f8268e9e_45Kwind(2).thumb.JPG.7f69e4cc30362481605ec80074594182.JPG59049f87c0d35_45Kwind(3).thumb.JPG.c9e82ffae056e6266eed5442739622e8.JPG59049f8bdd29e_45Kwind(4).thumb.JPG.b64b49437ad2fae63b97e0b67fba47a2.JPG59049f7a040d4_45Kwind(6).thumb.JPG.9a061df104c554b28fc6da84bc1059ab.JPG

59049f8fd424f_45Kwind(5).thumb.JPG.51c6f5228311a53be9755c52568e1db9.JPG

Looks pretty good.