wendlynne

Singer 97-10 Users? Questions

Hello all,

So Bertha the 97-10 lives in my studio. She's a good girl, but I think there's some issues that need some work so I'm looking for other 97-10 owners or folks who have sewn on one to chime in here on a few questions. 

1) Tension when presser foot is raised - I'm accustomed to the second tension closer to the needle releasing when the presser foot is raised. Can anyone confirm that this is true on the 97-10? I've always been told by my industrial sewing mechanics it's quite bad for machines to yank the thread without releasing tension, so it seems odd that doesn't happen here.

2) Presser Foot Tension - ok, so the presser foot seems to not have adjustable tension? Is this right? Or am I missing it?

4) Parts parts. I am looking for a part, wondering if anyone knows if there is an equivalent that miiiight work for a 97-10. 

• Bar thingy - ok I've looked through the parts list, I can't seem to find the part and name for the piece that is below the needle bar, that stabilizes the needle. Comes down on the original part on a curve, about a 45 degree angle to the leather. On my machine that's an aftermarket part and isn't angled, so I'd like to get a curved equivalent piece as the block marks up the leather a bit sometimes. Or, just know what it's called. I took a screen grab from the only video of a 97-10 stitching I could find, and highlighted in red the part I need in the picture attached =)

Thanks all! Wendy

singer-97-10-part.gif

I've bought,fixed & sold quite a few of these over the years & back in the day they were a great machine but gave on up on them do to the lack of parts.

They do not have a tension release like most machines so you have to pull some slack thread from the take up lever then when you lift the foot you won't bend your needle when you pull the leather out.

The pressure foot tension is the large screw towards the right of center on the top of the machine.Look on the backside & you see a long horizontal flat spring about a foot long & you'll see where the big screw pushes on it.

The part you need is called a needle guide,there's 2 of them for different sizes of needles they are # 58874 & #58910

Edited by CowboyBob

Bob! You're genius, thank you. I feel a bit silly for not recognizing the screw on the right side, so accustomed to pressure foot adjustments on the left for garment machines :)

You know, the joys of living in the era we do, I have hope these girls will hit their renaissance. They are 3D printing some pretty amazing aviation parts now, and classic car parts for pennies on the dollar of what they used to cost. Of course we're not able to do tempered steel, but I feel like we're at a pivotal point. 

I suppose if I find one I can borrow to scan, I might be able to pester the 3D printer in town and see where their metal composites are. Probably would be easier to get my dad's buddy to machine one for me, I just need reliable specs/schematics? I presume?

I found another 97 not too far away, but they're running it without the needle guide. Just an empty stump! Poor girl. 

Oh! And do you think there might be a part similar or equivalent on a 7 class or other big machine? Even if it's not a perfect fit, just having one I could try to machine or scan and make adjustments to would be easier than thin air, you know?

Oh! And do you think there might be a part similar or equivalent on a 7 class or other big machine? Even if it's not a perfect fit, just having one I could try to machine or scan and make adjustments to would be easier than thin air, you know?

No, they don't share any of the same parts, except for maybe some screws.  Check the parts books.

BTW, I think this website calls for a 97-10 thread. People don't understand how valuable they are to some industries.  But like said, there are not really any parts for these machines to keep them up and running.

I acquired a fair amount of Singer 97-10 parts last year along with a larger inventory purchase. Some used, some reproductions, some new old stock. The problem is that the parts are not organized or cataloged yet, but rather in a four-level, 900 sqft chinese puzzle (I have to move at least ten pieces to get to the one I want, if I even know where to look.) I did come across a box marked "Singer 97-10 races - new" yesterday. I counted about fifty new reproduction races that somebody had commissioned some time ago. Time will tell what else pops up in the other boxes and drawers. I was going to have things organized and cataloged over the winter, but here I am at the end of April and I've barely made a dent.

I sure hope to actually own a complete Singer 97-10 machine some day. I'm glad to hear of people who still have and use these fantastical beasts.

I also wish there was a reverse parts look-up tool where you can enter a part number and it spits out all the machines (or at least one) where that part was used. 

Edited by Uwe

Uwe,

Is there a way for a computer guru to "scan" the "List of Parts Complete" in the parts list Wendlynne linked above and put them in numerical order?

There actually is a list of numerically sorted part numbers in that particular PDF file. I've seen the numerically sorted pages removed from many PDF scans.

I just ran OCR (Optical Character Recognition) text recognition on the PDF file which makes it searchable. You can type in a part number and it should show up three times (or more): once in the grouped parts list, once in the numerically sorted parts list, and once in the picture plate pages. It worked for two of the three part numbers I tried out. 

Here's the OCR version of the SInger 97-10 parts list that should be text searchable: 97-1_10 OCR.pdf

Having searchable PDF files is a step in the right direction. I can search my own PDF archive on my computer for certain mystery part numbers. But my archive of PDF parts lists is incomplete and nobody else has access to it. It would be preferable to have a centralized, online parts look-up system. But that may not be practical (unless Google decides they LOVE vintage sewing machine parts lists.)

97-1_10 OCR.pdf

Edited by Uwe

That should be helpful.

I'd sure like to have one of those machines.

The US Army Field guide has a great section on the 97-10 (also the 7 class).  Its too big to attach so here is the link.  Plus the parts link pdf.  Let me know if they don't work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8SsIFb6Bqz7djdfT19ZWEh3dzA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8SsIFb6Bqz7U2lUbS0wazQtdzg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8SsIFb6Bqz7YnFuUVVaT0UybGc

YOU are such a gem, thank you thank you!! I don't have any reliable OCR software so I was going MAD looking for the parts numbers in tiny print. 

I do have the plates, and know a good machinist, but without an original to copy I probably won't get too far, will i?

I suppose I just cross my fingers and hope something turns up in your stash, I would be so grateful. They really are lovely machines. 

You ALL are so helpful, thanks for tolerating my questions. I really do try to do my homework before I pester anyone here, but it can get a little overwhelming sometimes. So helpful to check my sanity here. Well, at least THIS part of my sanity ;)

Yeti, thank you for these guides as well, INFINITELY better than the scrappy pdfs I've been trying to work off. I feel a bit recharged!

I'm looking for the same part as wendlynne. Did you ever find one? And Uwe, did you get your parts sorted and come across any in there?

97 10 needle guide 2.jpg

Edited by BriBur
Add picture

On 4/30/2017 at 7:44 PM, Uwe said:

I acquired a fair amount of Singer 97-10 parts last year along with a larger inventory purchase. Some used, some reproductions, some new old stock. The problem is that the parts are not organized or cataloged yet, but rather in a four-level, 900 sqft chinese puzzle (I have to move at least ten pieces to get to the one I want, if I even know where to look.) I did come across a box marked "Singer 97-10 races - new" yesterday. I counted about fifty new reproduction races that somebody had commissioned some time ago. Time will tell what else pops up in the other boxes and drawers. I was going to have things organized and cataloged over the winter, but here I am at the end of April and I've barely made a dent.

I sure hope to actually own a complete Singer 97-10 machine some day. I'm glad to hear of people who still have and use these fantastical beasts.

I also wish there was a reverse parts look-up tool where you can enter a part number and it spits out all the machines (or at least one) where that part was used. 

How is this cataloging coming? I’ve got a lovely 97-10 I try to use as often as I can! 
mid be interested in the plate that has the hole it it that the needle goes through, and various presser feet! 

I maybe in the maket for parts soon looking at a 97-10 tonight

I have a brand new race for a 97-10 never used.
glenn

On 12/28/2021 at 5:09 PM, shoepatcher said:

I have a brand new race for a 97-10 never used.
glenn

How much .  I need to start collecting.

$275.00 plus shipping.  I can get you a photo.  You have books on the machine?  I have the parts list, operations manual and the military service book on the machine.  I had one years ago in the early 1980's before the 441 and 205 came out.    Does yours have the stand or just the head?   Mine had everything 

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

I have the whole machine. Had to take the head off the base to get it out of the cellar it was in. I would love a pic. And I have some docs and one of the military manuals down loaded to the phone. But paper in hand might be better

On 1/2/2022 at 11:45 AM, shoepatcher said:

$275.00 plus shipping.  I can get you a photo.  You have books on the machine?  I have the parts list, operations manual and the military service book on the machine.  I had one years ago in the early 1980's before the 441 and 205 came out.    Does yours have the stand or just the head?   Mine had everything 

glenn

Can you make copies? I think I’ve got a copy of the operators manual…

On 5/1/2017 at 11:49 AM, Yetibelle said:

The US Army Field guide has a great section on the 97-10 (also the 7 class).  Its too big to attach so here is the link.  Plus the parts link pdf.  Let me know if they don't work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8SsIFb6Bqz7djdfT19ZWEh3dzA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8SsIFb6Bqz7U2lUbS0wazQtdzg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8SsIFb6Bqz7YnFuUVVaT0UybGc

This is asking for “request access”??? 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:32 PM, coma44 said:

I have the whole machine. Had to take the head off the base to get it out of the cellar it was in. I would love a pic. And I have some docs and one of the military manuals down loaded to the phone. But paper in hand might be better

will try to get you a pic today.  Busy as hell at the moment give me an email to send pic to.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Not a problem take your time. barnescoma@yahoo.com and thanks

On 4/19/2020 at 3:45 PM, BriBur said:

I'm looking for the same part as wendlynne. Did you ever find one? And Uwe, did you get your parts sorted and come across any in there?

97 10 needle guide 2.jpg

How is the one you printed working out for you? 
David Mills

On 1/6/2022 at 1:49 PM, shoepatcher said:

will try to get you a pic today.  Busy as hell at the moment give me an email to send pic to.

glenn

Glenn did you ever sell the parts you had?

I have no 97 (unfortunately) but some Singer 7 and Seiko SLH 2 have a similar part  - not sure if it will fit but I just wanted to give this hint:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/35141-inner-presser-foot-seiko-slh2b-use-with-outer-foot-35096-genuine.html

Maybe this helps - maybe not.

Edited by Constabulary