rktaylor

Seat Patterns

In Jeremiah Watt's DVD, he cuts his seat pattern while fitting it to the tree. Makes the pattern on the left and transfers it to the right.

In Harry Adams' book, he makes a paper pattern on the saddle and uses it to cut the seat.

I have been using JW's method. Which method do you use? What are the pros/cons of each method?

Thanks,

Randy

Randy,

As you know I am very green but have used Jeremiah Watt's technique on all three saddles.  So far it has got me decent ear cuts that are tight and look OK.  I find it simple to follow and that it has worked out every time so far.  That said my experience base is v shallow...

R

Randy,

I have found Jeremiah's method to work the best for me.  I've tired Stohlman's methods, paper patterns, rubber type plate patterns, and a few other's who I don't want to name.  One thing to mention in regards to the cantle ear cut when putting in a Cheyanne Roll, the ear tab needs to be lower on a Cheyanne Roll than on a straight up cantle.  I've yet to see where anyone has addressed this issue.  Please feel free to quote any sources on this procedure.

Ron

Ron and Ron,

Thanks for the comments. I have my seat formed and ready to glue down, but I think I am going to make a paper pattern. Then I can compare the two before I glue it in. Maybe I'll learn something. I have only built swell fork saddles. It would be interesting to see if people think one method is better suited for this style. Unless really pressed to change, I probably won't.

Randy