CraigJhnsn

Thread color with burgandy latigo help...

I'm sorry to have to ask this, but I'm having a hard time picking the right color thread for a burgundy latigo bag.  Color combinations.... I'm not very good with them.  It's one of those areas I really need to see something to know what goes together.  Thanks for any input on this!

I typically use black with burgundy.  Really depends on whether you want your stitching to stand out or not.  Really good stitching benefits from contrast but if it isn't so good it looks horrible IMHO.

Dependent on the effect you are aiming at you might want to look at the Beetroot Tiger thread.

Yellow

Hope this helps 

jcuk

I was thinking Beetroot also, but it will just blend in, no contrast. Cream or white will contrast nicely. 

I have used a variety of colors on the burgandy dyed. I really like the Havana Cigar (light brown), white is awesome and Black works nicely too especially if its a heavier thread. Maine thread has a color called ECRU that is killer on burgandy and you may want to get their free sample card.

My bigger issue would be the latigo. I have gotten some that is somewhat dry and almost colorfast but also have gotten some really oily stuff that bleeds like a pig. Latigo is Rub-y. If you are sewing by hand and chose a lighter color thread be sure to buff your stitch area some and be very sure to leave a good foot or more of lead thread so it will act as a cleaner for the stitched thread.

"Lead thread"...good to know. I hadn't considered that as a "thing". I know if I do an antique, paste particularly, the thread cleans up the leather, at the expense of the thread!

It's little tidbits like this that really make this forum excel. 

I had not thought of that,  good idea.  Some times with white or cream I will sometimes pick up some crud on the thread. 

On 5/3/2017 at 0:34 AM, Leatherhips said:

Dependent on the effect you are aiming at you might want to look at the Beetroot Tiger thread.

I was going to say this too.