What's your preferred screwdrivers for machine maintenance? 

I have to replace a hook and base for a cylinder machine, and all my screwdrivers are too long to access the screws with enough clearance. 

I've seen right angle ratchet types and just using mini screwdrivers on youtube videos being used. 

For those that have been through a few, what did you settle on? 

All of my screwdrivers are SnapOn brand. The tips are hardened which work nicely on hardened screws. For tight spots, I prefer 1/4" insert bits. I apply torque with a box end 1/4" wrench. If need be, I wedge a screwdriver on top of the insert bit for downward pressure. I also use SnapOn insert bits, they last the longest. I've also built many custom tools where nothing is available for a specific task. 

Regards, Eric 

:Holysheep:Gottaknow said almost word for word what I was thinking! Howd you do that?

Never be afraid to cut or file a tool to suit the job. Most tools are made for general purpose use. Just cut one down & re-handle to suit your job.

I have a vintage racing car; most of the tools I need are no longer available so I just cut, file and weld up tools to do the work

A long time ago I bought a small ratchet handle that takes 1/4" bits and found it very useful on sewing machines.

Wiha has some really well made screw driver sets. Top quality stuff.

Get a set of Chapman gunsmith screwdrivers - Wouldn't be without them :

https://chapmanmfg.com/collections/slotted-flathead-sets/products/8900-standard-set-12-slotted-bits

"Great for firearms, weapons, dental and lab equipment, sewing machines and fishing reels" ...and it comes in pink! :P

Thanks for the suggestions, mini ratchet with lots of bits worked out well. 

This is about half of my SnapOn screwdrivers. I keep a duplicate set in our Seattle factory so when I fly over to help out or teach, I don't have to put my tools into checked baggage. Saves a ton of time at airports. In the old days, (pre 911) I would just carry them on in an attaché. Some of the handles in the picture have been around since the 80's, with the blades being replaced when they begin too get dull. I always start out an apprentice mechanic with a set as well. I like their electronic series because they are not flared out at the blade tip. There are a lot of places on machines where the taper won't fit down a set screw hole. I buy those in 1/16", 1/8" and 3/16" blade width. The larger screwdrivers have a hex built in just below the handle. You can use a box end wrench to apply some serious torque to pop a stubborn screw loose.

Regards, Eric

snapon.jpg

When I was living in Europe, and learning to wrench over there, I was introduced to Beta tools.  All German made, and super nice.  I really line the grips and the quality is second to none.  Dealers are hard to find, but they have a tool for dang near everything.  

http://www.peerless-betatools.com/products/details/1294-3X100-SCREWDRIVERS-HEADLESS-SLOTTED

The old off-set screw drivers work really well, I have torqued on some of those flat head screws and they don't move, then I tried the off-set and they come right out.  I wish I could find them in every size  Don't forget the magnet tray, they are so handy. 

sewingdrivers.jpg.b7ea110c4e3785b462cf9ba73521f353.jpg 

magenttray.jpg.b2f54fc5a220722fd9bd27e6fc599ccd.jpg

This is my best choice for this work,  i have found different bits available in this set that really! fit

The 15 series jukis i work on and also a singer have why i dont know, several different screw heads. It is surprising that this kit mentioned is way beyond the standard drivers. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-89-Piece-Deluxe-Gunsmithing-Screwdriver/dp/B001C63M7O

In the shop i keep a standard set of snap on screw drivers. I always have liked the ability to use a wrench with these in stabilizing and putting some extra torque for removal. 

I never had any nice x-long drivers, but do agree the electric series offer some of interest for special work. 

The craftsman black handle drivers i always liked as the blasted tips i thought were spot on for fit in most standard screws. The handles i liked better than the old clear, red and blue. This brand was my only purchase for service truck and shop box before retiring. I had an apprentice box in 80 with snap on drivers and traded it with new job position that required a service truck.  Since then for pro money use i used craftsman for drivers and snap on tools for everthing else. I did work in a set of matco torx drivers for lite work and the handles were pretty darn nice. 

All things considered i really wish i had invested in the wheeler set for special work long ago, really just needed at the home for special work. When your setting there with a parker or a beretta you should have a proper tool before movin ahead. 

Good day

Floyd

These are some of the best darn, tried and true screwdrivers I can find, and I've tried a lot of 'em.  Don't want to drop brand names, but I can attest to the fact that they were made here in USA.

:cheers:

screwdrivers.jpg

I use my trusty electrical screwdrivers but have a variety of older types that have been ground to shape for various jobs.

Wera makes nice screwdrivers, and with the most common from Wera and an assortment of older random brand stubby ones I usually get by. Flat blade screwdrivers are a bit odd in that regard that you need a lot more of them than the Phillips and Pozidrive ones. If you want to get really picky, you should pick up a bits set for gunsmithing, they usually have a huge array of different width and thickness of flathead bits. 

Never used this one on a sewing machine, but it has saved me from tearing down hours of work to get to a single screw so many times when working on equipment in datacenters; it's a small ratchet bit driver that fits in the palm of your hand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/4bo/innovative-profile-squat-stubby-ratcheting-screwdriver-engineer/B002L6HJ82/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494054383&sr=8-2&keywords=ratchet+palm+bits

Edited by Stuggi

Second on the Wiha. I use insulated ones for energized work and I have never broken or worn out the tip on one. The rest of mine are Klein.

On 5/3/2017 at 7:05 AM, trash treasure said:

Get a set of Chapman gunsmith screwdrivers - Wouldn't be without them :

https://chapmanmfg.com/collections/slotted-flathead-sets/products/8900-standard-set-12-slotted-bits

I agree about the Chapman screwdrivers - I have been using a set of Chapman screwdrivers with the ratchet wrench for over 30 years and have never broken or twisted any of the bits - top quality!

On 5/7/2017 at 8:28 AM, garypl said:

I agree about the Chapman screwdrivers - I have been using a set of Chapman screwdrivers with the ratchet wrench for over 30 years and have never broken or twisted any of the bits - top quality!

Thanks so much for recommending our tools! We work hard to produce precision, quality bits and I'm so happy to hear that our tools have served the 3 of you well. Our tools have been used on sewing machines for a long time because our hollow ground bits fit the full depth and width of slotted screws unlike typical tapered screwdrivers. Also our bits are engineered to bend/break before damaging the screw. 

We've been in business since 1936 and have grown to about 15 people. Most of our new customers are referrals from other customers as we do not have a large marketing budget. 

Is there anything that you need that we don't currently make?

Thanks again,

Joel - Chapman MFG

joel@chapmanmfg.com

4 hours ago, ChapmanMFG said:

Thanks so much for recommending our tools! We work hard to produce precision, quality bits and I'm so happy to hear that our tools have served the 3 of you well. Our tools have been used on sewing machines for a long time because our hollow ground bits fit the full depth and width of slotted screws unlike typical tapered screwdrivers. Also our bits are engineered to bend/break before damaging the screw. 

We've been in business since 1936 and have grown to about 15 people. Most of our new customers are referrals from other customers as we do not have a large marketing budget. 

Thanks again,

Joel - Chapman MFG

joel@chapmanmfg.com

Hi Joel,

I think a collection of bits specifically aimed at sewing machine usage would be a good seller for you.  The set I bought has a few bits that I will not use.  I can’t speak for every type of machine out there, but I can provide you with a list of the bits I use on my CB4500, so you know what many leather craftsmen have to use on their equipment.  Maybe others on this forum can add commonly used bits they use on other machines and you can assemble a set based on this input.

I will post a list when I get home tonight.

Gary

15 hours ago, ChapmanMFG said:

Thanks again,

Joel - Chapman MFG

joel@chapmanmfg.com

I've been using Chapman Mfg. screwdrivers for a couple years now. They are American made and top quality. Here is a suggestion. Spend about $100 and get the Master Set. You will use it for everything, guns, auto, home repairs and more. I made a list the tool bits that fit specific screw heads I turn on my sewing machines and made a custom set for each machine. You can easily order just the bits you need ($1.50 +/-) and additional ratchets.

Gunsmiths deal with a lot of hardened screws and numerous sizes of slotted screws.  Brownells and numerous others sell great sets with hard bits - no gunsmith stays in business if they don't have good screwdrivers that don't slip.

Off the shelf at Home Depot or lowes Klien electrical screw drivers are pretty hard.  Stanley bits appear hard, but it's overly hardened crappy steel - they cheapened the metal about a year ago and all the guys I know stopped using them.  Bosch and Makita bits are ok, Milwakee is middle of the road and stay away from kobalt or Ryobi.

I'm not a big fan of craftsman in general, but the little black handle ratchet for screw bits is inexpensive and works ok.  A big step up is the Gearhead screw bit ratchet.  I like these with an extension to break larger screws and without to break tight quarter screws.  In super tight situations a bit can be cut almost in half or aviation suppliers seem to stock shorty bits.

The little thumb wheel (this one is craftsman but available from others) gets used all the time with or without an extension.  

To me a dremel is essential to slightly thin a bit that is just a little too tight.  Keep it handy and instead of messing up a screw head you'll have a perfect fit and not only do screw heads last longer, but the bit will as well.

if you're a restorer or simply OCD there are screw slot files available from Brownells to either widen or deapen a screw slot.

image.thumb.jpeg.367a3d7c9db64c51148d92b818f14e6b.jpeg

I checked which bits fit most of the screw on my CB4500.  I can use flat bits #90, 25, 19, and 98 for every screw I could locate on the outside of my machine.  

Gary

6A3DC3D4-39EA-4544-B337-D845D0745DC4.jpeg

On 5/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

These are some of the best darn, tried and true screwdrivers I can find, and I've tried a lot of 'em.  Don't want to drop brand names, but I can attest to the fact that they were made here in USA.

:cheers:

screwdrivers.jpg

I bought a full set of these  a couple months ago and I can say without hesitation that Craftsman screwdrivers have become absolute and complete garbage. Every flat head driver in the kit had the plating coming off the tip on the first use. All of the flat head drivers were essentially unusable after a few uses. Nothing major, just basic adjustments to a machine and a couple uses around the house. The tips would flare out and chip and would often not even fit in the slot anymore. Garbage. Returned the whole kit. 

I got a set of Klein's that I'm happy with for now.

This is the only set I've ever used.....bought it in 1996.  It normally resides in a leather saddle bag on my Harley.

https://www.specialized.net/wadsworth-super-deluxe-mini-ratchet-screwdriver-set-4-52-pc.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIif_G_8Sf2wIV3LjACh3rYwdLEAQYASABEgIz__D_BwE

Edited by Evo160K

7 minutes ago, Evo160K said:

This is the only set I've ever used.....bought it in 1996.  It normally resides in a leather saddle bag on my Harley.

https://www.specialized.net/wadsworth-super-deluxe-mini-ratchet-screwdriver-set-4-52-pc.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIif_G_8Sf2wIV3LjACh3rYwdLEAQYASABEgIz__D_BwE

That looks like a really nice set!

Gary